- This Policy explains the privacy practices of Travelzoo (Europe) Limited (“Travelzoo” or “we”) and applies to your use of Travelzoo's products and services as a consumer or as a representative of a client of Travelzoo, including the websites and mobile applications that link to this Policy (collectively, the “Services”). For more information about the specific Services that are covered in this Policy, click here;
- For the purposes of the applicable data protection legislation (including but not limited to the UK General Data Protection Regulation (“UK GDPR”) and the UK Data Protection Act 2018 (“DPA 2018”)), this Policy covers how Travelzoo treats the personal information we collect and receive related to your use of our Services and Mobile Apps. It also explains the rights you have in respect of Travelzoo's use of your personal information;
- Travelzoo (Europe) Limited is the data controller of personal information we hold about you. With regard to data processing within the framework of Travelzoo corporate group internal administration and joint procedures through centralized systems, Travelzoo (Europe) Limited and its parent company Travelzoo (590 Madison Avenue 35th Floor, New York, NY 10022, United States hereafter “Travelzoo Parent Company”) are jointly responsible as joint controllers. The joint processes particularly pertain to the operation and use of jointly used databases, platforms and IT systems. With respect to the joint processes, Travelzoo (Europe) Limited and Travelzoo Parent Company jointly determine the purposes and means of processing. In an agreement on joint controllership pursuant to Article 26 UK GDPR, Travelzoo (Europe) Limited and Travelzoo Parent Company have determined how the respective tasks and responsibilities in the processing of personal data are structured.
- This Policy does not apply to the practices of people or companies that Travelzoo does not own, control, employ or manage, except where incorporated by reference within licensing arrangements with third parties;
- Minors - You must be at least 18 years old to register, subscribe for or otherwise use Travelzoo's Services because Travelzoo is available only to individuals who can form legally binding contracts under applicable law. Travelzoo does not knowingly collect or use any information relating to individuals under 18 years old.
When we collect your personal information
Travelzoo collects personal information about you when you:
- Visit and use our websites or mobile applications;
- Register, subscribe for or sign in/up to our Services;
- Purchase products or services from Travelzoo;
- Send or receive email communications to or from Travelzoo;
- Use any Travelzoo software widgets;
- Visit the websites of or make bookings through Travelzoo partners;
- Voluntarily provide us personal information by phone, email, live chats, message boards, on fairs or seminars, in letters, online forms and other correspondence. For the avoidance of doubt, this also refers to any personal information you may provide as a representative of a client of Travelzoo;
- Participate in a member review through our Services or through one of our partners;
- Register for a webinar, seminar or info session hosted or co-hosted by Travelzoo;
- Are referred deals by a user of the Services; and
- Enter promotions or sweepstakes sponsored by or in connection with Travelzoo.
Personal information that we collect from you
Personal information that we collect through our Services
When you subscribe to or use our Services, we collect the following personal information from you:
- Contact information such as name, email address, mailing address, postcode, country of residence, and telephone or mobile number, user name and password);
- Billing information such as credit card information and billing address;
- Demographic information such as your date of birth and gender;
- Information concerning your personal preferences, such as preferred travel deals and airport, and other personal interests you share with us;
- Information about your transactions with us and our business partners through your use of our Services, such as the travel, entertainment and other deals you access and book and with whom;
- Information about your browser and your device such as your IP address and, when using our mobile applications, data such as device type and OS version. Travelzoo receives IP addresses from all users because this information is automatically reported by your browser each time you view a web page. Your IP address is also stored in our user registration databases when you register or subscribe with Travelzoo. For more information on IP Addresses, click here;
- Information about your website visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL), clickstream to, through and from our websites (including date and time), page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs) and methods used to browse away from the page;
- Personal information that you give to us by filling in forms on our websites or mobile applications, by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This also includes the phone number used to call our customer service number;
- Calls to and from our customer service help desk may be recorded or monitored for the purpose of quality control and for staff training. Any personal information obtained from you during the call will be treated in accordance with the provisions of this Policy; and
- Location information. When you are using our mobile application, we collect geo-location information. We may request access or permission to and track location-based information from your mobile device, either continuously or while you are using our mobile application, to provide location-based services. If you wish to change our access or permissions, you may do so in your device’s settings.
Personal information we collect when you enter a promotion, sweepstakes or contest
- When you enter a promotion, sweepstakes, or contest hosted by Travelzoo or sponsored by Travelzoo and/or our many partners, we may ask for your name, address, and email address. You may also be asked to provide additional information (such as member reviews, photos or videos) or to answer certain questions, some of which may be optional, in order to participate.
- We may use the personal information you provide to contact you in connection with a particular promotion, such as a sweepstakes or contest – for example, to update you of your status, administer the promotion, let you know that a promotion has ended, and for other purposes. For more information on promotions, click here.
- When you participate in a Travelzoo-sponsored or hosted promotion, sweepstakes, or contest, you are subject to the official rules of that promotion, sweepstakes, or contest as communicated to you when you participate in such promotion, sweepstakes, or contest.
Personal information that we obtain from Third Party Sources
- We may collect information through the use of third party web analytics services (such as Google Analytics) to provide information such as the number of visits to a particular page or the amount of time spent on a website.
- We may use information from you and third party websites to show you relevant advertising on third party websites (e.g., Facebook, Google, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok, LinkedIn, and Twitter). This could involve showing you an advertising message on social media. If you don’t want to be shown targeted advertising messages from Travelzoo, third party websites may allow you to request not to see messages from specific advertisers on that website in the future. In addition, social media providers, such as Facebook, may send us information about you in line with their policies. If you wish to prevent that sharing, you can do so by editing your Facebook privacy settings or the relevant settings/preferences for other social media providers.
- We may obtain information about you from other sources if we have a lawful basis to do so. For example, we may hire a third party data aggregator to provide us additional information about our existing consumers, such as purchase history and demographic information, to provide more effective personalisation.
How and on which lawful basis we use your personal information
Our lawful basis for collecting and using your personal data depends on the personal data concerned and the specific context in which we collect it.
When we fulfil a contract or to take steps linked to a contract, we base data collection and processing on Article 6(1)(b) of the UK GDPR
- We may collect and process personal data from you based on Article 6(1)(b) of the UK GDPR where this is necessary to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract with you, to carry out our obligations arising from any contract entered into between you and us and to provide you with the products or services you have requested from us or through our Services and with information about these products and services;
Under certain circumstances, when you give us your consent, we base data collection and processing on Article 6(1)(a) of the UK GDPR
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our Services when you choose to do so and to customise the content and provide targeted advertising for our Services as well as to improve our Services;
- To place certain cookies and use similar technologies subject to consent requirements.
- When this is in accordance with your marketing communications preferences we may send you push notifications, emails (e.g. Top20, Newsflash, Local Deals) and text messages from Travelzoo relating to our products and services. To opt-out of receiving push notifications, you can disable push notifications on your mobile device system settings. You can opt-out of our marketing communications at any time (see “Your account information and preferences” below).
When we pursue our legitimate interests, we base data collection and processing on Article 6(1)(f) of the UK GDPR
- To provide you with information about goods or services similar to those which were the subject of a previous sale or negotiations of a sale to you.
- To improve our Services to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer and as part of our efforts to keep our websites and mobile applications safe and secure
- To measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you; and
- To notify you about changes to our Services or to this Policy;
- When using our mobile websites or applications, if you tell Travelzoo where you are located (e.g., by allowing your mobile device to send Travelzoo your precise location), Travelzoo may use that information to provide you with location-based information, tailored offers and advertising. If you wish to deactivate this feature, you can disable location services on your mobile device;
- Furthermore, when you use our Services, we receive and record information from your computer and browser, including your IP address, Travelzoo cookie information, the type of software and hardware you are using and the web page(s) you visit to provide you with Travelzoo’s services and to improve and promote our services.
We use IP addresses for various purposes, including to:
- Diagnose service or technology problems reported by our users or engineers that are associated with the IP addresses controlled by a specific web company or ISP;
- Send the most appropriate advertising based on geographic area or information derived from your IP address. Many IP addresses are commonly associated with internet service providers, universities, or major corporations in specific regions or localities. Aggregate information derived from IP addresses may also be reported to advertisers or other third parties;
- Estimate the total number of users visiting Travelzoo from specific countries or regions of the world;
- Assist third party advertisers to track the effectiveness of the promotions they run on our websites, such as to track visits to and business on the advertised websites;
- Maintain the security of our Services; and
- To enhance information about you with appropriate and legal data that may be obtained to serve you better, and present you with more relevant information, for example by using Geo-IP maps.
- Travelzoo may collect third party information based on Article 6(1)(f) of the UK GDPR in connection with our gift giving service, e.g., if you purchase certain services for others, such as hotel reservations or Local Deal gift vouchers, we will collect the personal information of the recipients of these services from you. We will collect the relevant contact information of the gift recipient which may include name, address, and email address. You must make sure that you have the right to provide such personal information. When you provide any personal information for another person, you represent to us that the person whose data you share with us agrees to the provision of their information to us for us to collect, use and disclose such personal information as set forth in this Policy. We will use this gift recipient information only for the service for which you share such information and not to market directly to the recipient unless the recipient is currently registered with Travelzoo independently. To provide this service, we may also obtain address information of the gift recipient from third party sources, such as postal service providers, to verify the address so we can properly ship your gift order and to prevent fraud. If an individual whose personal information you have provided us wishes to request the deletion of their personal information, they can contact us via the contact details at the end of this Policy;.
For purposes which are required by law, we base data collection and processing on Article 6(1)(c) of the UK GDPR
- In case of requests by governments or law enforcement authorities conducting an investigation
- In order to fulfill any other legal obligations under applicable law.
Recipients of personal information and when we share information with them
Internal recipients: Within Travelzoo (Europe) Limited, the only individuals who process your personal information are those who need it for the purposes specified in this Policy.
External recipients: Travelzoo does not rent or sell personal information about you to external recipients, however, we reserve the right to share the personal information we collect about you with third parties when we have a lawful basis to do so, as outlined in this section. External recipients may include:
- External service providers that we use to provide the Services. We carefully select and inspect these processors on a regular basis to make sure that the security and confidentiality of your personal data are safeguarded. The service providers may use the data only for the purposes specified by us and in accordance with our instructions. If you are making a purchase through our services, we work with third parties and trusted business partners to securely collect your credit card, billing address and other verifying information. Our third party partners are required to follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the personal information they receive and/or process on our behalf. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, no method of transmission over the internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure and thus we cannot guarantee its absolute security; The data is transferred on the basis of Article 6 (1) (b) and/or (f) UK GDPR.
- We may provide data to trusted partners who work on our behalf to communicate with you about offers from Travelzoo including to select and serve relevant adverts to you. Note, these companies do not have any right to use or share your personal data for any other purposes and we do not typically disclose information about identifiable individuals, however they may use aggregate data for statistical purposes. In that case, depending on the circumstances, the transfer will be based on Article 6 (1) (b) or (f) UK GDPR;
- If we have a lawful basis to do so, we may also provide data to our third party analytics partners, such as Google Analytics, for the purposes of tracking usage information. We will share your personal information only as necessary for the third party to provide that service. To opt out of Google Analytics’ use of your information, please visit: tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. The data is transferred on the basis of Article 6 (1) (a) UK GDPR;
- We may contract with third parties to analyse our customer data and/or handle web chat, email, customer services and other services. These third parties may monitor or record telephone calls on our behalf for quality assurance and training purposes. The companies we employ to help us with these tasks may have access to personal data to perform their functions, but are not permitted to use it for any other purposes. The data is transferred on the basis of Article 6 (1) (f) UK GDPR;
- We may invite you to write a member review on your personal experience and display the information that you provide to us. When submitting a review you should not provide any personally information that you do not wish to make publicly available. If you wish to update or delete your testimonial, you can contact us via the contact information at the end of this Policy. You may also wish to leave a comment on one of our posts by means of a third party, such as Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. Please be aware that you may be sharing personal information with these other networks or social media providers. Depending on the circumstances, the data is transferred on the basis of Article 6 (1) (a) or (f) UK GDPR; and
We may share your personal information with law enforcement, regulatory authorities, courts with competent jurisdictions, emergency services, including:
- to comply with legal requirements, orders, or proceedings;
- to comply with laws or regulatory requirements and to respond to lawful requests and legal process;
- to protect the safety of our employees and agents, our customers, or any person.
Companies of the Travelzoo corporate group
If we have a lawful basis to do so, we may transfer your personal information to companies of the Travelzoo corporate group. The data is transferred on the basis of Article 6 (1) (a) and/or (b) and/or (f) UK GDPR.
Other business partners
- As is true of most websites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information may include internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and/or clickstream data. We may combine this automatically collected log information with other information we collect about you in order to improve the services we offer you, improve our marketing efforts, perform analytics, or improve website functionality.
- A web beacon is activated as part of a web page or email and allows us to count visitors to our websites and to recognize users by accessing Travelzoo cookies which help us personalize your experience when you use our Services.
- Travelzoo also uses web beacons to conduct research on behalf of our partners and for auditing purposes. No personally identifiable information about you is shared with partners from this research. For more information about our use of web beacons, click here.
Local storage - HTML5/flash cookies
- On Travelzoo we use Local Storage Objects (LSOs) such as HTML5 storage to store content information and preferences. We use Flash cookies on Travelzoo for the same purpose. Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing HTML5 LSOs. To manage Flash LSOs please click here.
Your account information and communication preferences
- Travelzoo respects your right to control how your personal information is used. Travelzoo may give you the opportunity to request marketing communications from vendors, partners, advertisers, and other service providers.
- When we send you marketing communications based on your prior consent, you can revoke your consent to the sending of marketing communication or change your preferences at any time and free of charge.
- For more information about these opportunities to request marketing communications, to edit your personal information, to unsubscribe from receiving Travelzoo services you previously requested, or to update your account, please manage your subscriptions here or by logging into the “My Account” section on the website. Users may also follow unsubscribe instructions included in each promotional email. If you have any issue accessing your profile page or account, or would like to deactivate your account, please see our customer support page here or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please note that even if you choose not to receive travel, entertainment and other deals directly to your e-mail inbox, we may still send you certain communications relating to your account, any purchases made, or if you inquire about Travelzoo Services. These may include service announcements, customer service notices, feedback requests and administrative messages.
Confidentiality and security of your personal information
- Travelzoo takes industry-standard technical and organisational security measures to protect your personal data under our control against loss, misuse, or alteration. When you enter a credit card number on our websites or in our mobile applications, we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL). For more information on data security at Travelzoo, click here.
- However, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will put in place appropriate security measures to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our websites, our email accounts or our mobile applications; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorized access
- Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our websites or our mobile applications, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Data transfer and storage outside of the UK or the EEA
- We may share your information with our subsidiary, parent and affiliate companies in which Travelzoo has control through either direct or indirect ownership and we may store information Travelzoo collects on servers outside your home country.
- The personal information we collect from you may be transferred to and stored in countries outside of the jurisdiction you are in. Data may be transferred from the European Economic Area (EEA) or the United Kingdom (UK) to the United States of America (USA) or other jurisdictions, principally due to staff engaged in, among other things, the fulfillment of your order, the processing of your payment details and the provision of support services, but also for the purposes of hosting our website servers on which data is held. Some of the jurisdictions outside of the EEA offer differing levels of protection in respect of personal data and may, in certain instances, be less protective than the jurisdiction you are a resident in.
- However, we have taken appropriate safeguards to require that your personal data will remain protected in accordance with this Policy and have implemented the European Commission’s Standard Contractual Clauses or make sure your data is protected by a vendor’s Processor Binding Corporate Rules. You can obtain a copy of these safeguards by contacting us at email@example.com.
- By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing.
Social media widgets
- Our websites and mobile applications may include social media features, such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter buttons and widgets, or interactive mini-programs that run on our websites or mobile applications. These Features may collect your IP address, which page you are visiting on our websites, and may set a cookie to enable the feature to function properly. Social media features and widgets are either hosted by a third party or hosted directly on our websites or mobile applications
- We cannot guarantee the safety and privacy of data you provide to any third parties. Any data collected by third parties is not covered by this Policy. We are not responsible for the content or privacy and security practices and policies of any third parties, including other websites, services or applications that may be linked to or from our Services. You should review the policies of such third parties and contact them directly to respond to your questions.
Single sign on
- Our Services may offer you the ability to register and login using your third party social media account details (like your Facebook, Google or Apple logins). Where you choose to do this, we will receive certain profile information about you from your social media provider. The profile information we receive may vary depending on the social media provider concerned, but will often include your name, email address, friends list, profile picture as well as other information you choose to make public. If you login using Facebook, we may also request access to other permissions related to your account, such as friends, check-ins, and likes, and you may choose to grant or deny us access to each individual permission.
- We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity or as long as is set out in any relevant contract you hold with Travelzoo, in each case in accordance with this Policy and with applicable law.
- Where we process personal data for marketing purposes or with your consent, we process the data until you ask us to stop and for a short period after this (to allow us to implement your requests), unless we are under a legal obligation to hold the data for longer. We also keep a record of the fact that you have asked us not to send you direct marketing or to process your data so that we can respect your request in the future. This record will be kept for as long as we retain your personal data in accordance with this section.
- We may retain certain information associated with your account in our archives, including for analytical purposes as well as for recordkeeping integrity. The periods for which we retain your information depend on the purpose(s) for which we collected and use such data
- We retain personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to provide you with a service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements)
- When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymise it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible. If you request termination of your Travelzoo account, it is our practice to deactivate your account and block further email deliveries to you within approximately ten business days from your request.
Your data protection rights
Under certain conditions, you have the right to require us to:
- Inform you about how your personal information is being used;
- Access and receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you;
- Request the correction of inaccurate personal data we hold about you;
- Require us to delete any information about you for the processing of which we no longer have a lawful basis;
- Restrict our use of your personal information;
- Provide you with your personal information in a usable electronic format and transmit it to a third party (right to data portability); and
- Cease carrying out certain processing activities based on legitimate interest as lawful basis unless our reasons for undertaking that processing outweigh any prejudice to your data protection rights.
- If you wish to make use of one of the above rights, you can do so at any time by contacting us using the contact details provided under the “How to contact us” heading below. (We may require you to prove your identity with approved forms of identification).
- You have the right to opt-out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” or “opt-out” link in the marketing emails we send you. To opt-out of other forms of marketing (such as postal marketing or telemarketing), please contact us using the contact details provided under the “How to contact us” heading below.
- Similarly, if we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and processing of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority. (Contact details for data protection authorities in the European Economic Area, Switzerland and other countries (including the USA and Canada) are available here.
- We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
Travelzoo may update this Policy from time to time, so we recommend you visit this page occasionally. Changes to this Policy are effective when they are posted on this webpage. When we change this Policy in a material way, we will update the “last updated” date at the bottom of this Policy. If you do not agree to these changes, please do not continue to use Travelzoo’s Services or submit personal information in other ways to Travelzoo.
How to contact us
If you have questions about this Policy, regarding disclosure of personal information to third parties should it ever occur, or about data we may hold about you, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at:
Travelzoo (Europe) Limited
151 Shaftesbury Avenue
London WC2H 8AL
You can reach our Data Protection Officer at email@example.com.
The data controller of EEA residents’ personal information is Travelzoo (Europe) Limited at the above address. Travelzoo (Europe) Limited is registered with the UK Information Commissioner’s Office (registration no. Z2500432).
Last updated: 16 May, 2022.
- May 25, 2018: The Policy was updated for GDPR compliance purposes.
- May 16, 2022: We continuously strive to be as transparent as possible about how we process your data. Therefore, we have updated the Policy to further improve transparency by simplifying the structure of our Policy and providing even more detailed information about the data we collect from you, the lawful bases for processing this data and your rights with respect to such data.