How to Get to the Maldives
The Maldives has quickly become a Travelzoo member-favorite destination, so it’s welcome news that airlines have added flights from major U.S. cities to this Indian Ocean paradise. Upscale carriers like Etihad, Turkish and Qatar Airways currently have roundtrip fares that are less than $1100, and with the prospect of air prices spiking as the year goes along, now is the time to lock in these fares.
As of April 20, 2022, these are roundtrip fares to Male that we found on Etihad, Turkish and Qatar. The best months to get these prices are also outlined below and include the dry season, between November and March. These prices are unadvertised and could change at any time.
- Los Angeles ... $948 (November)
- San Francisco ... $948-$985 (November, January-March)
- Chicago ... $957-$993 (September-November, January-March)
- Boston ... $981 (into March)
- New York (JFK) ... $1091 (October-November, January-March)
What you need to know:
- These fares are in Economy, which include one carry-on bag, two checked bags, and free changes.
- There are no direct flights to to the Maldives from the U.S., but you'll have a layover in some of the nicest airports in the world, allowing you to reset and stretch your legs, before continuing on to your final destination. Qatar's flights lay over in Doha's Hamad International Airport, while Etihad has layovers at Abu Dhabi Airport. Both airports are state-of-the-art and offer multiple restaurants, shops, sleep pods and even hotels to pass the time. If your layover in Abu Dhabi is longer than four hours, you can apply for a transit visa that allows you to leave the airport to explore the city.
- For mileage junkies, Qatar is a member of the oneworld alliance. So if you’re a frequent flier on American or Alaska Airlines, you may be able to cash in on your miles. If you can’t find a favorable flight online, we recommend calling American or Alaska if you’re interested in going this route.
How to Book:
- Click on your departure city above to search availability and fares on Google Flights.
- Click on the departure date field to see the calendar with the lowest priced travel dates.
- Choose your travel dates, preferred flights and fare option.
- Click "Select" (or "Continue" on mobile) to book directly with Etihad, Turkish or Qatar. We recommend avoiding booking with online travel agencies and booking directly since airlines have flexible change policies and won’t charge fees.
Once you land in the Maldives:
To get to your final destination, we recommend making transfer arrangements with your resort. There are ways to get to your hotel via ferry or sea plane, but it depends on how far you are from the main airport in Male. Trans Maldivian Airways flies directly to more than 80 resorts in the Maldives.
Read our FAQs for things you need to know about traveling to the Maldives.