6 Reasons Why Captiva Island Should Be Your Next Vacation
Located on Captiva Island just off the coast of Florida, South Seas Island Resort is offering Travelzoo members a limited-time exclusive rate of $149 per night through February. If that doesn’t entice you to take a winter break, here are our top reasons why you should go.
1. An island you can drive toNo passport required for this island destination: In fact, if you are in the Gulf Coast area, you might not need a plane, either. The island is located an hour away from Fort Meyers, and upon crossing the Blind Pass Bridge, you’ll have entered Captiva.
2. Exclusive beachesBeach access is limited on Captiva, with only two stretches of coastline available to the public. However, if you are a guest at the South Seas Resort, you have exclusive access to the 2.5-mile stretch of shore that frames the property. Don’t worry about fighting for towel space, because Captiva Island beaches are uncrowded by most standards.
3. More than 60% of the island is yours to roamSouth Seas Island Resort spans 330 acres and covers the northern half of the island, taking up 2.5 miles of Captiva’s total 4-mile length. Only resort guests have access to the property, so if you’re looking to see the entire island, you’ll be staying in the right place.
4. Two islands for the price of oneCaptiva’s sister island, Sanibel, is the larger of the two, yet you can drive the whole length within 20 minutes. The two islands are connected via a short bridge so visitors can easily explore both (then brag about island-hopping). For reasons why you should visit Sanibel, check out our blog post about it.
5. No car neededOne cost-saving tip is to rent a car if you’re travelling from the airport, as an island taxi costs $85 each way for four people ($75 for three), excluding tax. Parking comes free with the resort fee, and you’ll have the flexibility to drive over to Sanibel Island as well. Once at the resort, though, you can take the free trolley service to any part of the property. Or you can always ask to hitch a ride from a passing golf cart, which can be rented for $100 per day.
6. Amenities aboundThere is no shortage of amenities at the resort, which makes this an ideal family vacation spot. If you prefer the pool to the ocean, you have 20 options from which to choose. If you want to relax further, a 4,000-square-foot state-of-the-art spa is there to serve. The family interactive center hosts a variety of kid-friendly programs, and if you would like to add a little education to your trip, the Sanibel Sea School offers a hands-on learning program about the island’s nature preserve and the animals that inhabit it. Oh, and let’s not forget there’s a nine-hole golf course.
Looking for hotel deals? Travelzoo’s hotel search helps you find exclusive deals at thousands of hotels on the dates you want to travel. You’ll also find hotels with member-only perks like free breakfast or room upgrades.