10 Reasons Why We Love the New Thompson Resort in Playa del Carmen
Being one of the most luxurious hotels in Riviera Maya, the Thompson’s rates start well above $300; however, we’ve negotiated a deal that saves Travelzoo members 50% on regular rates and includes daily breakfast, welcome drinks and waived resort fee.
Need more incentive? Here are 10 reasons why this hotel is the place to stay in Playa del Carmen.
1. Guest choice: city-chic or boho-beachGuests have two buildings to choose from: Thompson Playa del Carmen and Thompson Beach House. The city-chic main property resides on the bustling Quinta Avenida, while the more intimate, boho Beach House lives just down the street on, you guessed it, the beach. Either way, guests have access to both experiences.
2. Namaste all dayIt’s not difficult falling into a state of tranquility at the Thompson, but if you are looking for an extra dose of Zen, the hotel offers morning yoga sessions on the rooftop pool deck.
3. Who needs a beach with a roof deck like this?The Thompson Beach House may boast the oceanfront setting, but its counterpart, Thompson Playa del Carmen, wins in the view category. The 30,000-square-foot rooftop pool deck comes with panoramic ocean vistas and nearly every form of seating -- half-submerged loungers, private cabanas and underwater living rooms (yes, these are a thing).
4. Retail therapyBypass the commonplace souvenir stores and head to the newly-opened retail complex adjacent to the hotel, featuring more than 40 contemporary shops. For more local flavor, the hotel hosts a fashion and art series showcasing local designers.
5. The food's a CatchThe main property is home to Catch restaurant, which got its start in New York’s high-end Meatpacking District. Its legacy as a seafood powerhouse lives on in Playa del Carmen and diners can expect ocean-to-table -- after all, they are in Mexico.
6. Because vacation is better with dogsThe Thompson understands that even dogs need vacations, too, so guests can bring their furry friends.
7. Two words: bathroom goalsThis is just one of the beautiful features in each of the guest rooms, which have been designed through a local lens thanks to famed Mexico City designers Niz + Chauvet. Picture Mexican marble, natural wood and vibrant geometric-fabrics.
8. Day beds for daysThe Beach House compound is the epitome of relaxation and boasts tiers of day beds, leaving little reason to leave.
9. Paradise by day, party by nightThe rooftop pool deck transforms into one of the area’s most popular club scenes with featured DJs and exclusive parties, as part of the hotel’s extensive event schedule, also known as Hotel Happenings.
10. Dive-in moviesThe Thompson elevates every experience, even when it comes to movie screening. Trade the in-room rentals for the weekly dive-in movies, where previews come in the form of sunsets.
Book by March 20 to secure this 50%-off-deal at the 4.5-star Thompson Playa del Carmen, including welcome drinks, daily breakfast and waived resort fee.