10 Reasons We're Hungry for Toronto's Winterlicious
In Toronto, the cold weather can leave us searching for reasons to love winter. But it’s worth fighting the urge to hibernate, because Winterlicious presented by YP Dine is back. The culinary celebration -- known for fantastic food at bargain prices -- will take over the city’s top dining spots Jan. 27 - Feb. 9. More than 220 restaurants are joining this year's iteration of the popular event, cooking up three-course meals for as little as $18 for lunch and $28 for dinner. (Prices max out at $28 for lunch and $48 for dinner.) You can make reservations now -- and you probably should, as hot places book up quickly. We love saving money, of course, but that’s not the only reason why our palates are primed for Winterlicious, which is produced by the City of Toronto and presented by YP Dine. Here are 10 festival features that will make you want to claim your seat at the table.
1. It’s great for guests.You never need an excuse to visit Toronto, but knowing you’ll have your pick of affordable three-course meals makes the decision easier, doesn’t it? And if you’re a local, what better time to show off the perks of big-city living to your friends and family? (Bonus: You won’t have to cook for any houseguests.)
2. The diversity is delicious.You’ll find Portuguese, Korean, Italian and even beer cuisine on the Winterlicious menu – and those are just the restaurants starting with “A”! Other offerings include Nuevo Latino, Mexican, Brazilian, Ethiopian and Eastern European cuisines, so you can start your world tour (no passport required).
3. It’s your ticket to big-ticket restaurants.Some of the city’s swankiest dining spots are participating, so Winterlicious is your chance to get all dolled up and see what all the fuss is about. You never know which visiting celebs might be sitting at the next table!
4. It’s a feast for the eyes (and the lens).Go ahead, post that #nofilter picture of your perfectly plated dessert; countless others will be sharing their own Winterlicious eye candy with the hashtag “#LiciousTO.” Warning: Viewing user galleries may cause hunger.
5. You can eat local (for less).Want to stay close to home? See your neighbourhood haunt in a new light (who knew they made killer desserts?), or try out that place around the corner you’ve been meaning to visit for months.
6. Finally, a reason to set aside residential rivalries.East-siders and west-siders are famously reluctant to see how the other half lives, while many tourists never venture beyond the downtown core. But since Winterlicious runs seven days a week, you can build a whole day’s outing around a fantastic meal (or two) in a new-to-you neighbourhood. Trust us, it’s worth the trip.
7. No meat? No problem.Vegans and vegetarians can find places eager to cater to them, and with the Winterlicious online search engine, you can filter by preferences, neighbourhood and a host of other options.
8. Even the apps are appetizing.If you prefer to do your planning on the go, the YP Dine app lets you explore Winterlicious restaurants and book your meals from your phone. Download it now and enter for a chance to win a $100 gift certificate every month for 12 months. (That's a whole year of dining at any Winterlicious restaurant featured in the YP Dine app.) For more details, click here.
9. Hibernation is for bears, not Torontonians.Do you really want to wait until patio season to catch up with your friends? Heat up your winter social scene now by inviting an old pal -- or someone you’d like to get to know better -- for a meal. It’ll warm you up in more ways than one.
10. It feeds your brain, too.Learn as you dine at one of nine special interactive Winterlicious Culinary Events held at a range of historic or memorable sites around the city. Each one ties back to Canada's 150th anniversary celebration. Tickets are available now.
Promoted by: Winterlicious. Click here for more information.