The Ultimate Ontario Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Since 2010, Culinary Adventure Co. has offered a variety of food tours, culinary adventures and classes across Toronto and the GTA. This spring, the company expands to Ottawa and Kingston with food tours in both cities.
We caught up with Kevin and asked him to share his recipe for the Ultimate Ontario Grilled Cheese.
THE ULTIMATE ONTARIO GRILLED CHEESE
A perfect mix of sweet, salty and melty – this grilled cheese highlights the best Ontario has to offer.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Grilling time: 10 minutes
Yield: 1 serving
- LOCAL BREAD + BUTTER
- 2 slices of Stonemill Bakehouse’s Prince Edward County rye bread
- 15 g salted Stirling Creamery butter
- ONTARIO CHEDDARS
- 50 g Balderson 2-Year Old Royal Cheddar, grated
- 50 g Balderson Double-Smoked Cheddar, grated
- HOGTOWN PEAMEAL BACON
- 2 slices, Carousel Bakery (St. Lawrence Market) peameal bacon, grilled
- MUSKOKA CRANBERRY HORSERADISH COMPOTE
- 1 tbsp (recipe below)
- Butter the outside of the two slices of bread.
- Add half of the cheddar cheese mix on one slice of bread (unbuttered side).
- Add peameal bacon on top of cheese.
- Spread compote on peameal.
- Top with rest of cheddar cheese mix.
- Finish with second slice of bread, buttered-side up.
- Grill on flat press (no ridges) or a frying pan. Medium low (heat) and slow -- approx. 3 to 4 minutes on each side until bread is golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- Rest for 1 minute.
- Cut diagonally and enjoy.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Refrigeration time: At least 1 our
Yields: Approximately 2.5 cups
- 340-gram bag of fresh or unthawed Johnston’s Frozen Cranberries
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons drained, prepared horseradish
Combine the cranberries, onion, sugar and salt in a food processor. Chop coarsely, using on/off turns. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl. Mix in sour cream and horseradish. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated.)
For an interesting twist with spice, mix in half of a finely diced Jalepeno to the Cranberry Horseradish Compote.
Enjoy with a cold local beer like Muskoka Brewery Mad Tom IPA or a crisp KW Craft Cider.
For more info on Culinary Adventure Co. and to book a tour, visit culinaryadventureco.com.