By Travelzoo Staff
Chef Gaynor Grant, who got her culinary start learning under the direction of James Beard protege Peter Kump, later became director of his New York-based cooking school and also helped create and organize the James Beard Foundation. Travelzoo subscribers can learn Grant's techniques with this Local Deal for classes at her school in Pittsburgh for $45, regularly $95.
Why we love it
- For $45, enroll in 1 of more than a dozen cooking classes from Gaynor's School of Cooking, regularly $95
- Classes include basic or advanced bread baking, the foods of Morocco or Thailand, and pierogi making
- Head chef Gaynor Grant has been featured in the Post-Gazette, the Tribune-Review and on CBS Pittsburgh
- This deal's value can be used toward special wine-tasting dinners or more expensive multi-class sessions
- Located on the South Side on Carson Street
Sept. 5, 2012 - Dec. 6, 2012
Gaynor's School of Cooking
309 E. Carson St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
- After relocating to Pittsburgh, Grant opened her own school focused on teaching professional techniques to enthusiastic amateurs. Some of the popular classes she teaches with her team of professional culinary experts include:
- The Foods of Spain: This class includes four hours of hands-on
- tapas creation including recipes for fried potatoes with romesco sauce, classic paella and orange yogurt cake
- Sushi Making: Learn to create a tuna sashimi roll, smoked salmon roll and California roll, pickle your own ginger and create your own wasabi paste
- Pie Dough 101: Students will learn the fundamentals and techniques of pie dough, create their own dough and then transform it into pies, quiches and appetizers
- Pierogi Making: Make a selection of different pierogies including the original potato or onion pierogi, as well as ground beef and mushroom pierogies and an apple-filled dessert pierogi
- Other classes will soon be added to the schedule, including holiday baking sessions, making this deal perfect for holiday preparation. The value of this deal can also be used toward monthly wine dinners, which feature a menu created by Grant and pairings selected by the school's resident sommelier, or the "Art of Fine Cooking" multi-class series of lessons.
The fine print
Note: This deal is limited to 500 vouchers sold. This deal may sell out before the "time to buy" expires. Vouchers can be redeemed starting Thursday, Sept. 6, through Dec. 6, 2012. Reservations are required and must be made online. To reserve, go to gaynorsschoolofcooking.com, click on "Classes" and then click "Schedule" in the upper left-hand corner of the screen. Click your preferred class, then click "Add to Cart." Enter the voucher code in the "Gift Certificates and Coupons" field and click "Apply." Click "Check out," agree to the cancellation policy and input all contact and credit card information to complete the reservation. An email will be sent to confirm reservation. Must bring voucher to class to complete redemption; present voucher upon arrival. See below for full terms and conditions.
See all terms