By Travelzoo Staff
When Chicago's iconic Shedd Aquarium introduced its Extraordinary Experiences program to visitors, it was met with fanfare: Crain's Chicago Business called the Beluga Encounter "a hit,"
while the Chicago Tribune
praised the Trainer for a Day program as "awesome," "[like] an amazing dream."
With this offer, Travelzoo subscribers have the unique opportunity to be among the few people to reserve these once-in-a-lifetime encounters for half off, starting at $125.
Why we love it
- Meet a beluga whale or become a Trainer for a Day at Chicago's famous Shedd Aquarium
- There are just over 30 belugas in North American aquariums; reserve a chance to meet one of them up close for $125, regularly $250
- Spend time learning, helping, feeding and caring for animals just like a Shedd trainer for $175, regularly $350
- Admission to the aquarium's many exhibits is also included with each package
- Each attendee gets to take a framed photograph of the experience home
March 29, 2013 - June 30, 2013
1200 S. Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60605
- For $125, regularly $250, take part in the Beluga Encounter program: Visitors will learn about animal care and feeding from a beluga expert. Following that, whale enthusiasts will strap on some waders, get into the water and meet one of the Shedd's adult beluga whales -- the whale will swim right up to visitors, where they'll be able to interact with the whale, perhaps tickle its tongue and even work with the trainer to help the whale perform a few training techniques.
- For $175, regularly $350, go behind the scenes to become a Trainer for a Day: This four-hour immersive experience includes feeding and caring for many marine animals, including dolphins, penguins, sea lions, otters and the Shedd's belugas. Visitors will work side by side with a Shedd trainer to prepare meals, learn about the training process, spend some recreation time with animals and maintain their habitats while surrounded by wildlife.
- This offer includes admission to the aquarium as well, so after getting hands-on in the animal habitats, subscribers can wander the exhibits and observe the wildlife with a brand-new perspective. All participants will also receive a framed photograph of themselves during the experiences, to accompany the lifelong memory of this truly unique experience; additional photos are available for purchase.
The fine print
Update (April 4, 12:30 p.m.): The Trainer for a Day experiences have sold out and are no longer available. Beluga Encounters can still be purchased. Note: A limited number of vouchers are available. These deals may sell out before the "Time to Buy" has expired. Vouchers can be redeemed starting Friday, April 12, through June 30, 2013. Advance registration required, all sales final. Shedd Aquarium's refund and cancellation policy can be viewed here. Beluga Encounters take place Friday, Saturday and Sunday; Trainer for a Day takes place Friday and Saturday only. Participants must be at least 12 years old; Beluga Encounter participants must also be 60 inches tall. Children ages 12-15 must be accompanied by a participating paid adult. No photography or video recording. See below for full terms and conditions.
See all terms