£64 – Cornwall: famous smuggler's inn
Stay at the atmospheric Jamaica Inn, inspiration for the famous Daphne du Maurier novel
Why We Love This Deal
Weary travellers, lost novelists, and unsavoury smugglers have been using Jamaica Inn as a resting place since 1750. Sitting on the Cornwall and Devon border, the characterful inn still offers a warm welcome with open fires, local ales, and hearty food. An overnight stay at this cosy retreat — including breakfast and a lie-in — is less than £35 per person.
- Overnight accommodation in a Classic Small Double or Twin Room, with full English breakfast, for two
- Late checkout until 12pm (worth £20)
- A 2-night stay, with daily breakfast and late checkout, is £109 per room
- Take advantage of half-price upgrades as part of this exclusive offer: it's an extra £10 per night to stay in a Superior Room, or an extra £20 per night to stay in a Deluxe Room
This offer is valid for stays seven days a week until 30 April, 2023.
Built in 1750, Jamaica Inn was designed as a coaching inn for weary travellers crossing the wild and treacherous moor. Known as a haven for smugglers due to the gangs of shipwreckers who operated on the Cornish coast, the remote inn was thought to be used by less reputable travellers to hide contraband that had been brought ashore.
Jamaica Inn is well known as the setting for Daphne du Maurier's novel of the same name, published in 1936. The author was inspired to write her novel after she became lost in fog whilst out riding on the moors, and was led back by her horse to the safety of the inn. During her time spent recovering, the local rector is said to have entertained her with ghost stories and tales of smuggling that inspired the book.
While the historic property has retained plenty of its 18th-century character, a new wing now provides modern bedrooms with uninterrupted views across the moor. As well as a cosy bar and a restaurant serving hearty local fare, the inn also has a Daphne du Maurier Museum (entry is £3.95 per person), a farm shop stacked with local Cornish produce, and a gift shop.
- Dogs can stay in selected rooms for an extra £10 per stay (enquire on booking)
- Children aged 5-12 can stay in a Z-bed for an extra £10 per stay; breakfast is an extra £5. Children under five stay for free
- There is free parking available at the property
Click here to see all the properties in The Coaching Inn Group sale
Book by March 26.
How to Book
Book online with Jamaica Inn