£165 & up – Wales: award-winning 5-star mansion retreat
Palé Hall Hotel is a Victorian mansion house that has hosted Winston Churchill and Queen Victoria. You can now follow in their footsteps with an overnight stay at this 5-star property -- starting at £165, saving up to 29% on the usual price, this deal includes:
- Accommodation in a Classic Room, with full Welsh breakfast, for two
- £179... Tuesday-Thursday
- £199... Friday-Saturday
- We have also negotiated an overnight stay with an 8-course tasting-menu dinner for £269 Sunday-Monday; £285 Tuesday-Thursday and £305 Friday-Saturday (from 1 September, the hotel will serve a 10-course tasting-menu dinner)
Why We Love It
- 5-star Palé Hall Hotel is in the Dee Valley, a 10-minute drive from the market town of Bala and 35 minutes from Snowdonia National Park
- This Victorian mansion house has hosted Winston Churchill and Queen Victoria
- The property was fully renovated in 2016, yet has maintained many of its original features, including stained-glass windows, crystal chandeliers, wood panelling and grand fireplaces
- The hotel has a Visit Wales Gold Award, and the restaurant holds three AA Rosettes
Palé Hall Hotel is a 5-star Victorian mansion in the Dee Valley. Winston Churchill and Queen Victoria both stayed here, and the property "still hasn't lost its special touch", according to The Daily Telegraph, which includes it on its list of the most romantic hotels in Wales.
The country property is set within 50 acres of gardens and woodland that roll down to the River Dee. The market town of Bala is a 10-minute drive away, while Snowdonia National Park is 35 minutes away.
Palé Hall Hotel has a Visit Wales Gold Award, and was also named on Condé Nast Traveler's 2018 Gold List of its favorite hotels in the world. The property was fully renovated in 2016, yet maintains stained-glass windows, crystal chandeliers, wood panelling and grand fireplaces.
The 18 bedrooms that have been individually decorated, some with William Morris prints. Each room retains period features; the bath used by Queen Victoria when she visited in 1889 is in the Victoria room.
The restaurant, which is led by Gareth Stevenson, holds three AA Rosettes. Tasting menus are served with a grand backdrop -- expect an ornate plaster ceiling, a grand fireplace and a crystal chandelier. However, as a reviewer from the Daily Post noted, dining "was a friendly experience without any stuffiness at all".
The hotel even has its own hydro-electric generating system that provides power to the whole property.
- "Queen Victoria and Churchill have both sojourned at this Victorian mansion on the fringes of Snowdonia National Park, and it still hasn't lost its special touch" -- The Daily Telegraph
- "First class service and friendly staff" -- The AA Hotel Guide 2018
- "The hotel certainly has the wow factor as soon as you walk into the newly refurbished building, so much so that I felt that I almost took my shoes off, as the carpet was so thick and plush" -- Daily Post
- "Gareth Stevenson's menus are informed by the grandeur of the surroundings, but with today's ingenuity of approach adding interest throughout" -- The AA Restaurant Guide 2018
- Newspaper / magazines
- 100% smoke-free
- 24-hour front desk
- 24-hour room service
- Beauty treatments / massages (fees apply)
- Concierge service
- Laundry / dry cleaning
- Safe in reception
- Central heating
- Iron and ironing board
- Sitting area
- DVD / CD player & library
- Flatscreen TV
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout
- Bathrobes and slippers
- Luxury toiletries
- Bathtub or shower
- Complimentary parking
- Accessible bathroom in some rooms
- Accessible meeting room
- Accessible parking
- Accessible path of travel
- Accessible restaurant
- Roll-in shower
- Wheelchair accessible
Standard Time is 3pm. Minimum age required to check in: 18.
Minimum age required to check in: 18.
Checkout: Standard Time is 11am.
Children and additional guests: There is no extra bed available.
Pets are allowed on request: £25 per night. Dogs only. Use of the Library incurs a £30 supplement for dog friendly dining
Dogs only. Use of the Library incurs a £30 supplement for dog friendly dining
Cancellation: Cancellation policy & booking conditions vary by 'rate plan'. These will be displayed on the payment page after you have searched for your dates and selected a rate.
Additional details: The tasting menu will have 8 courses for stays until 31 August 31st, then 10 courses for stays from September 1st.
£165 / night
When You Can Go
Sun-Mon until 30 Nov; £179 Tue-Thu; £199 Fri-Sat
Getting ThereParking at the hotel is free. Bala and the A494 are a 10-minute drive away. The A5 at Druid is 15 minutes away. The narrow, mountainous Tanat Valley route from the A5 near Knockin is best avoided at night or in poor weather.
Have a Question? Contact Travelzoo.
Rates may vary by date, are subject to availability and are not guaranteed until your purchase is complete.
The room rates listed are for double occupancy per room unless otherwise stated and exclude tax recovery charges and service fees.
It is the responsibility of the hotel chain and/or the individual property to ensure the accuracy of the photos displayed. Travelzoo is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the photos.
*Unless otherwise stated, Travelzoo-exclusive extras are valid once per stay (based on two adults sharing). Value is an estimate based on double occupancy. Extras are only included with Member Rates and may not be available on all dates. Extras are non-transferable and have no cash value. Total value may vary depending on time of booking and availability. When included, breakfast may be limited to 2 guests per stay subject to hotel’s discretion. Other restrictions may apply; see our T&Cs for details.
Please note: Some amenities and services may not be available in all rooms or may incur an additional charge. All prices stated have been verified at the time of publication and may vary at the discretion of the hotel.
(11 Member Ratings)