£145 – North Devon getaway with 3-course dinner, was £256
The Imperial Hotel is a Grade II-listed Edwardian building on the banks of the River Taw in north Devon. An overnight stay is now £145, saving 43% on the usual price, and includes:
- Accommodation in a Standard Double/Twin room, with full English breakfast, for two
- A 3-course dinner, plus an intermediate dish and coffee (worth £33)
- Stay in a Superior River Facing Twin/Double for an additional £30 per night
- A 2-night stay with daily breakfast and dinner on the first night only is £199 in June and £225 July-September
- A 3-night stay with daily breakfast and dinner on the first night only is £275 in June and £299 July-September
- We've also negotiated an afternoon tea for two, for £20
Why We Love It
- The property offers "old-school grandeur reminiscent of a bygone era, premium service and quality food within an environment boasting traditional elegance", says The Daily Telegraph
- The Tarka Trail series of footpaths and cycle paths is less than a minute's walk away, while Tapeley Park and Gardens is less than 20 minutes' drive away
- Braunton Burrows is 30 minutes' drive away and the coastal village of Porlock is an hour's drive away
The Imperial Hotel is beside the River Taw in the centre of Barnstaple, north Devon. This "smart and attractive" (The AA) hotel is less than half an hour's drive from the beaches at Saunton Sands, Woolacombe and Croyde. The seaside resort of Ilfracombe, "framed by precipitous cliffs, elegant town houses, golf greens and a promenade" (Lonely Planet), is less than 15 miles away.
The Tarka Trail, a series of footpaths and cycle paths that follow the route taken by the fictional Tarka the Otter, is less than a minute's walk away, and Tapeley Park and Gardens, a historic country estate with a Grade II-listed mansion house, is less than 20 minutes' drive away.
Glassmaker Dartington Crystal, where you can try your hand at glass painting, jewellery making and glass blowing; and Exmoor Zoo, boasting 175 species and over 600 animals, are 25 minutes' drive away.
Braunton Burrows, part of a UNESCO-designated biosphere reserve in the North Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, is 30 minutes' drive away.
The coastal village of Porlock, described as "one of the prettiest on the Exmoor coast" (Lonely Planet), is an hour's drive away. The oysters from Porlock Bay were once a sought-after delicacy, supplying many restaurants in London throughout the 1800s.
The hotel's Arlington Restaurant offers fine dining, while the smaller Colours Bar Bistro serves food in a less formal setting.
Recently refurbished, the 63 rooms each have a unique design and come with free Wi-Fi. Some have views of the River Taw.
- 100% smoke-free
- 24-hour front desk
- 24-hour room service
- Baby-sitting service on request
- Bike rental
- Concierge service
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea-making facilities
- Flatscreen TV
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout
- Luxury toiletries
- Complimentary parking
- Accessible bathroom in some rooms
- Accessible meeting room
- Accessible parking
- Accessible path of travel
- Accessible restaurant
Please note: Some amenities and services may not be available in all rooms or may incur an additional charge. Please check with the hotel.
Standard Time is 3pm. Minimum age required to check in: 18.
Minimum age required to check in: 18.
Checkout: Standard Time is 11am.
Children and additional guests:
Infant's cot/crib or extra bed are available, free of charge, for children aged 11 and under. This is room-only basis. Meals will be charged as taken. Extra beds are not available for older children and adults.
Please use the Special Request field to confirm the age of the third guest.
Pets: No pets allowed.
Cancellation: Cancellation policy & booking conditions vary by 'rate plan'. These will be displayed on the payment page after you have searched for your dates and selected a rate.
There is a dress code required for the restaurant: no ripped denim, t-shirts or sportswear.
£145 / night
When You Can Go
Until 2 Sep
Getting ThereThe Imperial Hotel is five minutes' drive away from Barnstaple railway station, which has regular services to London Paddington via Exeter St David's. The A361 is less than five minutes’ drive away. Parking is free.
Have a Question? Contact Travelzoo.
Rates may vary by date, are subject to availability and are not guaranteed until your purchase is complete.
The room rates listed are for double occupancy per room unless otherwise stated and exclude tax recovery charges and service fees.
It is the responsibility of the hotel chain and/or the individual property to ensure the accuracy of the photos displayed. Travelzoo is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the photos.
*Unless otherwise stated, Travelzoo-exclusive extras are valid once per stay (based on two adults sharing). Value is an estimate based on double occupancy. Extras are only included with Member Rates and may not be available on all dates. Extras are non-transferable and have no cash value. Total value may vary depending on time of booking and availability. When included, breakfast may be limited to 2 guests per stay subject to hotel’s discretion. Other restrictions may apply; see our T&Cs for details.
(119 Member Ratings)