£179 – Lake Windermere break w/meals & cream tea, was £288
You can now save up to 37% on a break for two at Miller Howe, a "stylish" (The AA) hotel on the edge of Lake Windermere. For less than £90 per person, overnight stays at this 2-AA-Rosette property include:
- Accommodation in a Lakeland Room, Countryside Room or Cottage Suite, with full Cumbrian breakfast and a 3-course set-menu dinner with canapés and an amuse-bouche, for two
- Cream tea (tea or coffee, plain and fruit scones, jam and clotted cream) for two, served between 3-5pm (worth £9 per person)
- Stay in a Lakeview Room for an extra £40 per night
- It's £269 for a 2-night stay with daily breakfast, cream tea on the second day and a 3-course set-menu dinner with canapés and an amuse-bouche on the first night only
- It's £399 for a 3-night stay with daily breakfast, cream tea on the second day and a 3-course set menu dinner with canapés and an amuse-bouche on the first and third nights only
Why We Love It
- The property provides "opulent luxury in a stunning lakeside setting", says The AA, and "is the yardstick by which other country houses are judged"
- The restaurant holds two AA Rosettes
- The pretty town of Ambleside, where you can see Stock Ghyll Force waterfall, is a 15-minute drive away
- Wray Castle is 20 minutes' drive away, while Castlerigg Stone Circle and Hardknott Roman Fort are both less than 50 minutes' drive away
"The yardstick by which other country houses are judged" (The AA), Miller Howe has a "stunning" setting overlooking Lake Windermere in the Lake District National Park. This region of "craggy hilltops, mountain tarns and glittering lakes" (Lonely Planet), has abundant outdoor activities, from lake cruises to mountain walks, and is also renowned for its literary connections -- William Wordsworth, Samuel Taylor Coleridge and Beatrix Potter all lived there.
The pretty town of Ambleside is a 15-minute drive away. From there, you can follow a wooded path to Stock Ghyll Force, a 70-foot-high waterfall, or try taking one of several hiking routes to Grasmere to see Dove Cottage, which belonged to Wordsworth.
Wray Castle, a mock-Gothic castle on the shores of Lake Windermere, is 20 minutes' drive away. Predator Experience, where you can see birds of prey, try falconry and walk with wolves, is less than 25 minutes' drive away. Castlerigg, a Neolithic stone circle with views of Helvellyn and Skiddaw, is a 40-minute drive away.
The remote Hardknott Roman Fort is a 50-minute drive away. Built in the second century, and known to the Romans as Mediobogdum, it is now an archaeological site.
The restaurant creates "imaginative dinners" using "fresh, local produce where possible", says The AA, which awards it two Rosettes.
Lakeview Rooms have balconies with views over Lake Windermere towards the Langdale Pikes. Cottage Suites have shoreline views. They are a short walk from the main building along a cottage path and have use of shared patios. Wi-Fi is free.
- Newspaper / magazines
- 100% smoke-free
- No elevator / lift
- Airport transfer (fees apply)
- Room service (limited hours)
- Business center
- Safe in reception
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea-making facilities
- Flatscreen TV
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout
- Luxury toiletries
- Bathtub or shower
- Complimentary parking
- Accessible bathroom in some rooms
- Accessible meeting room
- Accessible parking
- Accessible path of travel
- Accessible restaurant
Please note: Some amenities and services may not be available in all rooms or may incur an additional charge. Please check with the hotel.
Standard Time is 3pm. Minimum age required to check in: 18.
Minimum age required to check in: 18.
Checkout: Standard Time is 11am.
Children and additional guests: There is no extra bed available.
Pets: Dogs are allowed on request and will be charged at £10 per night. Supplements are not included automatically in the total price and will be charged directly by the hotel.
Cancellation: Cancellation policy & booking conditions vary by 'rate plan'. These will be displayed on the payment page after you have searched for your dates and selected a rate.
£179 / night
When You Can Go
Sun-Thu until 27 Sep; +£20 Fri & Sat
Getting ThereMiller Howe is 30 minutes' drive from junction 37 of the M6. Parking is free. Windermere, the nearest railway station, is a 5-minute drive away and has regular services to Oxenholme Lake District, from where trains run to London Euston, Manchester, Birmingham and Glasgow.
Have a Question? Contact Travelzoo.
Rates may vary by date, are subject to availability and are not guaranteed until your purchase is complete.
The room rates listed are for double occupancy per room unless otherwise stated and exclude tax recovery charges and service fees.
It is the responsibility of the hotel chain and/or the individual property to ensure the accuracy of the photos displayed. Travelzoo is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the photos.
*Unless otherwise stated, Travelzoo-exclusive extras are valid once per stay (based on two adults sharing). Value is an estimate based on double occupancy. Extras are only included with Member Rates and may not be available on all dates. Extras are non-transferable and have no cash value. Total value may vary depending on time of booking and availability. When included, breakfast may be limited to 2 guests per stay subject to hotel’s discretion. Other restrictions may apply; see our T&Cs for details.
(286 Member Ratings)