The Mount Somerset Hotel & Spa
Why We Love It
- This 4-Red-Star Inspectors' Choice hotel is in four acres of gardens and has views over the Vale of Taunton
- Regency mansion meets modern boutique at this intimate 19-room property
- The restaurant holds three AA Rosettes
- You can unwind in the spa with a hydrotherapy bath or an ice shower
"Wonderful views over Taunton Vale" -- The AA Hotel Guide 2018
Map & Directions
Rooms & Rates
The Mount Somerset Hotel & Spa is a Regency-era country-house hotel in the countryside near Taunton that has won awards and received wide acclaim from reviewers and hotel guides. It holds four AA Red Stars, which signify Inspectors' Choice status and are The AA's "supreme accolade" for hotels, and three Rosettes for its food, while the The Daily Telegraph praises the "attractive spacious bedrooms" and "cosy but well equipped spa".
Exmoor National Park is a 30-minute drive away, while the Somerset Levels and the Quantock Hills and Blackdown Hills Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty are even closer. Glastonbury -- which is known for its ruined abbey and tor (a hill outside the town that is the centre of several Arthurian legends) -- and Wells Cathedral are both within an hour's drive.
With its high ceilings and sweeping staircase, Mount Somerset Hotel & Spa mixes Regency splendour with modern comforts. Despite the manor's generous size, there are only 19 guest rooms, creating an intimate feel. Décor features floral prints and plush velvet, while original antique furniture preserves a sense of the mansion’s history. Some bedrooms also feature roll-top baths.
There’s a gym and a modest Moroccan-style spa, decorated with mosaics and original ornaments from a traditional hammam. There's also a steam room, a sauna, a hydrotherapy bath and a foot spa. For the brave, there is also a kubel dusche -- an elevated bucket of ice-cold water. We have negotiated a spa package, including two treatments, and bubbly for £65 per person.
Wi-Fi is free throughout.
- "Excellent levels of quality and comfort and sound attention to detail" -- The AA Hotel Guide 2018
- "New head chef Mark Potts has upped the kitchen’s game, steering a creative, contemporary country house line, and packing its menus with top-grade produce" -- The AA Restaurant Guide 2018
- "This Regency mansion is an affordable, good-quality country house hotel, offering attractive spacious bedrooms, excellent dinners and breakfasts, and a cosy but well-equipped spa" -- The Daily Telegraph
- Infant cots / cribs
- Newspaper / magazines
- Extra beds / roll away beds
- Gym / fitness center
- Hot Tub / Jacuzzi
- Sauna / Steam Room
- 24-hour front desk
- 24-hour room service
- Beauty treatments / massages (fees apply)
- Laundry / dry cleaning
- Pillow menu
- Room service (limited hours)
- Safe in reception (fees apply)
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea-making facilities
- Iron and ironing board
- Jacuzzi in some rooms
- Outdoor space for some rooms
- Sitting area
- Flatscreen TV
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout
- Bathrobes and slippers
- Separate shower
- Luxury toiletries
- Complimentary parking
- Off-street parking
- Accessible bathroom in some rooms
- Accessible meeting room
- Accessible parking
- Accessible path of travel
- Accessible restaurant
- Wheelchair accessible
Please note: Some amenities and services may not be available in all rooms or may incur an additional charge. Please check with the hotel.
Check-in: Standard Time is 3pm.
Checkout: Standard Time is 11am.
Children and additional guests: An extra guest can be added in all rooms except the Classic Room. Charges will apply as follows: £35 per night per child aged between 2 and 15; £10 per night per child aged 1 and under. This includes breakfast. Extra beds are not available for older children and adults. Supplements are not included automatically in the total price and will be charged directly by the hotel. See room descriptions and rate policies for information about room occupancy and prices. Extra beds and cots are on request only, please use the Special Request field on the checkout page to request it and confirm the age of the third guest.
Pets: Pets are allowed on request in select rooms only and will be charged an extra £15 per day. Charges will be added to your bill on checkout.
Additional details: There is a three-night minimum stay required over Christmas and a two-night minimum stay required over New Year's Eve.
Have a Question? Contact Travelzoo.
(20 Member Ratings)