Hotel Julien Dubuque
Why We Love It
- Reputedly the hideout of mobster Al Capone in the 1930s
- It has an excellent location in the Old Main District, opposite the Mississippi River
- The restaurant serves local favorites
- The spa offers treatments inspired by Native American medicine
Map & Directions
Rooms & Rates
Reputedly the hideout of mobster Al Capone in the 1930s, Hotel Julien Dubuque is an impressive property in an excellent location, facing the Mississippi River. It is set in Dubuque's downtown Old Main District and is just five minutes' walk from the National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium. Restaurants and bars on Main Street are a block away and Diamond Jo is 10 minutes' walk around the harbor. The hotel dates back to 1915 and touches of its glamorous heritage still remain, from the Tiffany glass doors to the marble floor tiles in the lobby.
Caroline's Restaurant is a popular option for American dishes and Mississippi favorites, including catfish cakes and Cajun-style chicken and shrimp, and the relaxed Riverboat Lounge (closed Sundays) caters for evening drinks and snacks. Ask for a seat on the outdoor terrace for the best river views. The mosaic-tiled spa offers treatments inspired by Native American medicine -- try the many hands massage -- and there’s also an indoor pool and whirlpool (heated with geothermal energy), as well as a gym overlooking the pool.
The rooms have nice updates but mirror the same design of the hotel with vintage photos and art deco-style lamps add a touch of Hollywood glamor. Bathrooms have granite counter tops and walk-in showers or bath tubs. Ask for a river-facing room for a quieter night (rooms on the street side can be noisy). Suites have separate sitting rooms for extra space and some come with whirlpool bathtubs for two. The most extravagant is the signature Al Capone Suite, with two en suite bedrooms, a full kitchen and a sizeable walk-in vault.
- "A recent lavish renovation has turned it upscale and it's a real antidote for chains" -- Lonely Planet
- Infant cots / cribs
- Indoor pool
- Nightlife / entertainment
- No pets allowed
- 24-hour front desk
- Beauty treatments / massages (fees apply)
- Concierge service
- Laundry / dry cleaning
- Room service (limited hours)
- Shuttle service (fees apply)
- Business center
- Jacuzzi in some rooms
- Complimentary Wi-Fi in guest rooms
- Complimentary parking
- Accessible bathroom in some rooms
- Accessible path of travel
- ADA compliant rooms
- Roll-in shower
Please note: Some amenities and services may not be available in all rooms or may incur an additional charge. Please check with the hotel.
Check-in: Standard Time is 3pm.
Checkout: Standard Time is 12pm.
Pets: No pets allowed.
Have a Question? Contact Travelzoo.
(101 Member Ratings)