£79 – Forest of Dean escape with wine or cream tea, 47% off
Why We Love This Deal
Overnight breaks at a former royal hunting lodge in the Forest of Dean are now £79. This offer from The Speech House Hotel -- built in the 17th century for King Charles II -- saves up to 47% on the usual price.
- Overnight accommodation in a Superior Main House Double or Courtyard Four Poster room, with full English breakfast, for two
- A cream tea (worth £5.95 per person) or a bottle of house wine (worth £17.25) -- choose on check-in
- Late checkout until 12pm (worth £15)
- It's £149 for a 2-night package, with the second night on a B&B basis
Why We Love This Hotel
- This hotel is in rural Gloucestershire, in the centre of one of England's oldest oak forests
- Dining options include The Orangery, which serves traditional pub food, and a formal restaurant
- It's five miles from the Wye Valley Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and 13 miles from the famous Tintern Abbey ruins
- Symonds Yat Rock, where you can take in views of the River Wye from 120 metres up, is 10 minutes' drive away
- The property can offer discounts on local bike hire for exploring the surrounding forest cycle paths
With wall-mounted stag heads, oak-beamed ceilings and a weathered yellow-stone exterior, The Speech House Hotel's origin as a hunting lodge for King Charles II is clear throughout.
It's in the Forest of Dean, which is said to have inspired JRR Tolkien's Middle Earth and also featured in "Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows". Symonds Yat Rock, 20 minutes' drive away in the Wye Valley Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty has views of the River Wye from 120 metres up, and is popular with hikers and birdwatchers (peregrine falcons nest on the surrounding cliffs).
You can hire kayaks and Canadian canoes for a paddle on the River Wye at the Monmouth Canoe and Activity Centre, which is 20 minutes' drive away, or take a ride on the Dean Forest Railway, which operates steam and diesel trains from Lydney to Parkend; Norchard station, which also has a museum, is around 10 minutes' drive from the hotel.
The ruins of Goodrich Castle, a Norman fortress with great views from the battlements, and Tintern Abbey -- the inspiration for Wordsworth's famous poem -- are both within 25 minutes' drive of the hotel, as is Kymin Hill, which features a charming 18th-century round house and naval temple overlooking Monmouth and the Wye Valley.
The Orangery and bar serves light lunches, fresh coffee and traditional pub food. The restaurant has been a court for the local Verderers (who meet four times a year to discuss the protection of the forest) since 1696, and it serves an à la carte menu and homemade desserts. Wi-Fi is free in public areas. Courtyard rooms are in external buildings behind the main house.
- Newspaper / magazines
- Extra beds / roll away beds
- 100% smoke-free
- No elevator / lift
- 24-hour front desk
- 24-hour security
- Bike rental
- Laundry / dry cleaning
- Room service (limited hours)
- Safe in reception
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea-making facilities
- Iron and ironing board
- Sitting area
- Flatscreen TV
- Complimentary Internet access
- Luxury toiletries
- Bathtub or shower
- Complimentary parking
- Accessible bathroom in some rooms
- Accessible meeting room
- Accessible parking
- Accessible path of travel
- Accessible restaurant
- Facilities for guests with special needs
- Wheelchair accessible
Standard Time is 2pm. Minimum age required to check in: 18.
Minimum age required to check in: 18.
Checkout: Standard Time is 10am.
Children and additional guests:
There is no extra bed available.
The total price will reflect the extra charges based on the number of guests selected.
Dogs are allowed in limited ground floor rooms only (within Standard Courtyard or Cottage categories) and are charged at £10 per night. Please contact the hotel before booking to confirm the availability. Supplements are not included automatically in the total price and will be charged directly by the hotel.
Cancellation: Cancellation policy & booking conditions vary by 'rate plan'. These will be displayed on the payment page after you have searched for your dates and selected a rate.
Up to 47% off
£79 / night
Have a Question? Contact Travelzoo.
Rates may vary by date, are subject to availability and are not guaranteed until your purchase is complete.
The room rates listed are for double occupancy per room unless otherwise stated and exclude tax recovery charges and service fees.
It is the responsibility of the hotel chain and/or the individual property to ensure the accuracy of the photos displayed. Travelzoo is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the photos.
*Unless otherwise stated, Travelzoo-exclusive extras are valid once per stay (based on two adults sharing). Value is an estimate based on double occupancy. Extras are only included with Member Rates and may not be available on all dates. Extras are non-transferable and have no cash value. Total value may vary depending on time of booking and availability. When included, breakfast may be limited to 2 guests per stay subject to hotel’s discretion. Other restrictions may apply; see our T&Cs for details.
Please note: Some amenities and services may not be available in all rooms or may incur an additional charge. All prices stated have been verified at the time of publication and may vary at the discretion of the hotel.
(239 Member Ratings)