£159 – Lake District getaway with dinner & cream tea
Escape to the Lake District village of Grasmere with this deal from The Wordsworth Hotel & Spa. We found rates are regularly up to £143 for an overnight stay with breakfast. Our deal is £159 and includes:
"As tranquil as its surrounding waters" -- Britain's Finest Hotels
- Overnight accommodation in a Courtyard Double or a Classic King/Twin room (subject to availability on arrival), with full Cumbrian breakfast, for two
- 3-course dinner plus pre-dinner canapés in the Signature Restaurant (worth up to £42.45 per person; starters up to £9.95, mains up to £23.50 and desserts up to £9)
- Cream tea on arrival (worth £6.75 per person; served between 12-5pm)
- Late checkout until 12pm (worth £25)
- 20% discount on spa treatments and products
- It's £299 to stay two nights in a Courtyard Double Room or a Classic King/Twin Room with daily breakfast, cream tea, a 3-course dinner with canapés on the first night, a 2-course dinner in the Signature Restaurant on the second night (worth up to £33.45 per person; starters up to £9.95 and mains up to £23.50, or mains up to £23.50 and desserts up to £9), and late checkout
- You can stay in a Grasmere Village View room for an extra £20 per night (payable direct to hotel; subject to availability on arrival)
- Fridays and Saturdays are an extra £20 per night
- Saturdays require a 2-night minimum stay
Why We Love It
- The hotel is in the village of Grasmere and is named after its most famous former resident, poet William Wordsworth
- Wordsworth fans can visit three of his former homes: Dove Cottage and Allan Bank in Grasmere, and Rydal Mount, which is less than 10 minutes' drive away
- Lake Windermere is a 20-minute drive from the hotel
- Guests can use the indoor pool, Jacuzzi and sauna
- Grasmere's famous Gingerbread Shop is next door to the hotel
The Wordsworth Hotel & Spa, built in 1870, is in the centre of Grasmere, which Lonely Planet calls "one of the prettiest of the Lakeland hamlets". One of Grasmere's main draws is its links to poet William Wordsworth -- he lived in Dove Cottage between 1799 and 1808, and at Allan Bank from 1808 to 1810. You can tour both houses, and visit the Wordsworth Museum, which displays his letters, journals and poems.
The hotel, which holds four AA Silver Stars, was praised by Britain's Finest as "the best hotel in the village of Grasmere". It is next to the Grasmere Gingerbread Shop -- the former cottage of Victorian cook Sarah Nelson, who created the recipe that is still used today.
Food is served in the Signature Restaurant, which holds an AA Rosette and is noted for its "ambitious contemporary cooking" by The AA Restaurant Guide 2019. There's an extensive wine list and an emphasis on local beers. Afternoon tea is available daily from 12-5pm in the conservatory or lounge, or on the terrace in good weather.
Guests can use the W Organic Spa, which has an indoor pool, a Jacuzzi and a sauna. Spa treatments are also available (additional charges apply).
Lake Windermere is 20 minutes' drive away and Keswick is 25 minutes' drive away, while Coniston Water, where you can take a trip on a steam yacht gondola or visit Brantwood, the former home of John Ruskin, is 35 minutes away.
Please note, maintenance work is being carried out on the roof and scaffolding will be in place at the front of the hotel until 10 March. The views from some Classic and Grasmere Village View Rooms might be affected. The hotel endeavours to keep disruption to a minimum.
- "This historic hotel ideally situated in the heart of Grasmere provides high levels of style and luxury" -- The AA Hotel Guide 2019
- "The Wordsworth Hotel is as tranquil as its surrounding waters in the vast and beautiful Lake District" -- Britain's Finest
- "Creative country-house cooking in the heart of the Lakes" -- The AA Restaurant Guide 2018
- Infant cots / cribs
- Newspaper / magazines
- Extra beds / roll away beds
- Hot Tub / Jacuzzi
- Indoor pool
- Sauna / Steam Room
- 100% smoke-free
- 24-hour front desk
- 24-hour security
- Beauty treatments / massages (fees apply)
- Laundry / dry cleaning
- Safe in reception
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea-making facilities
- Sitting area
- Flatscreen TV
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout
- Separate shower
- Luxury toiletries
- Bathtub (in some rooms)
- Bathtub or shower
- Complimentary parking
- Accessible bathroom in some rooms
- Accessible meeting room
- Accessible parking
- Accessible path of travel
- Accessible pool area
- Accessible restaurant
- Accessible spa
- Facilities for guests with special needs
- Roll-in shower
- Wheelchair accessible
Standard Time is 3pm.
Minimum age required to check in: 18.
Checkout: Standard Time is 11am.
Children and additional guests:
Please use the Special Request field to confirm the age of the third guest. Infant's cot/crib and extra bed available on request, subject to availability, in Grasmere Village View rooms and higher categories only: £25 per night for children aged 16 and under. There is no extra bed for older children and adults.
Supplements are not included automatically in the total price and will be charged directly by the hotel. See room descriptions and rate policies for information about room occupancy and prices.
Infant's cot/crib and extra bed available on request, subject to availability, in Grasmere Village View rooms and higher categories only: £25 per night for children aged 16 and under. There is no extra bed for older children and adults.
Pets are allowed on request and will be charged at £20 per pet per night.
Supplements are not included automatically in the total price and will be charged directly by the hotel.
Cancellation: Cancellation policy & booking conditions vary by 'rate plan'. These will be displayed on the payment page after you have searched for your dates and selected a rate.
£159 / night
When You Can Go
Sun-Thu until 11 Apr; +£20 Fri-Sat
Getting ThereParking is free. Windermere train station is a 20-minute drive from the hotel.
Have a Question? Contact Travelzoo.
Rates may vary by date, are subject to availability and are not guaranteed until your purchase is complete.
The room rates listed are for double occupancy per room unless otherwise stated and exclude tax recovery charges and service fees.
It is the responsibility of the hotel chain and/or the individual property to ensure the accuracy of the photos displayed. Travelzoo is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the photos.
*Unless otherwise stated, Travelzoo-exclusive extras are valid once per stay (based on two adults sharing). Value is an estimate based on double occupancy. Extras are only included with Member Rates and may not be available on all dates. Extras are non-transferable and have no cash value. Total value may vary depending on time of booking and availability. When included, breakfast may be limited to 2 guests per stay subject to hotel’s discretion. Other restrictions may apply; see our T&Cs for details.
Please note: Some amenities and services may not be available in all rooms or may incur an additional charge. All prices stated have been verified at the time of publication and may vary at the discretion of the hotel.
(38 Member Ratings)