Shutters on the Beach
Why We Love It
- Located right on Santa Monica Beach
- Unique non-hotel ambiance; you'll feel like you're staying at a swanky beach house with friends
- Stay on property to eat -- the hotel's two restaurants have seaside dining
- Past guests rave about the luxurious rooms, but advise spending a little more to get an ocean-facing room to avoid street noise
"It is Santa Monica’s most beloved spot" -- Forbes Travel Guide
Map & Directions
Rooms & Rates
As the name suggests, Shutters on the Beach is located smack dab on the beach with just the sand separating you from the ocean. It's within walking distance to the famous Santa Monica Pier and Third Street Promenade for shopping and dining.
The hotel's grand exterior, complete with plenty of windows with shutters, is reminiscent of a seaside hotel you would find on the East Coast's Cape Cod or Nantucket. The upscale interior is filled with luxe touches, yet it somehow still feels like a relaxed beach house.
Guest rooms are open and airy with light colors throughout. They feature luxurious amenities but also small touches that make you feel like you're at home -- think throw blankets, a bookcase filled with books, flowers and keepsake decorations. Bathrooms are spacious and feature whirlpool tubs, and rooms have balconies so you can take in the ocean views (many rooms sit oceanside).
Pamper yourself with a massage or facial at the hotel's One the Spa, or get in a workout at the sleek, fully equipped fitness center and then relax in the steam room. The upscale and airy One Pico offers seasonal California cuisine and ocean views. The more casual Coast has a cafe and bar, perfect for a glass of wine and small bites. The Living Room is the hotel's beachy lobby lounge and terrace, offering spectacular ocean views, along with light meals, afternoon tea and cocktails. The hotel is also one of the most popular spots for weddings, so don't be surprised if you see a bride and groom in your midst during your stay.
Rent a beach cruiser and take a bike ride along the Santa Monica Beach bike path. Or if you're heading into Santa Monica for dinner, request a ride from the hotel's complimentary town car -- a Tesla S P85 -- so you can arrive in style.
- "A beach house on steroids, Shutters recalls that perfect childhood summer: cruiser bikes and wicker loungers, seagrass on the sand and hand-painted signs pointing to the water" -- Conde Nast Traveler
- "Set right on the sand, this gray-shingle inn has become synonymous with in-town escapism, and while the hotel's service gets mixed reviews from some readers, the beachfront location and show-house decor make this one of SoCal's most popular luxury hotels" -- Fodor's
- “The rooms are divine nests, winning in every detail” -- Los Angeles Times
- Infant cots / cribs
- Newspaper / magazines
- Hot Tub / Jacuzzi
- Outdoor pool
- Sauna / Steam Room
- 100% smoke-free
- 24-hour front desk
- 24-hour room service
- Laundry / dry cleaning
- Business center
- Coffee / tea-making facilities
- Iron and ironing board
- Mini bar
- Jacuzzi in some rooms
- Pay-per-view / movies on demand
- DVD / CD player & library
- Flatscreen TV
- Video games on request
- Wi-Fi in public areas (fees apply)
- Separate shower
- Luxury toiletries
- Valet service (fees apply)
Please note: Some amenities and services may not be available in all rooms or may incur an additional charge. Please check with the hotel.
You must present a photo ID when checking in. Your credit card is charged at the time you book. Bed type and smoking preferences are not guaranteed. Your reservation is prepaid and is guaranteed for late arrival. The total charge includes all room charges and taxes, as well as fees for access and booking. Any incidental charges such as parking, phone calls, and room service will be handled directly between you and the property. The following fees and deposits are charged by the property at time of service, check-in, or check-out.
Know Before You Go
The following fees and deposits are charged by the property at time of service, check-in, or check-out.