Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa
About the Hotel
Why We Love This Hotel
- This 200-acre country resort is close to the coast and 35 minutes from Liverpool
- There are two golf courses and PGA practice facilities on site
- You can relax in the spa's thermal suite or swim in the indoor pool
- Rooms all offer free Wi-Fi and some have golf-course views
- We've also negotiated an afternoon tea for two with a cocktail for £25, and a spa day with lunch or afternoon tea for £39
Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa is a sprawling 4-star property set in 200 acres of parkland on the outskirts of Southport. It's 35 minutes' drive along the coast from Liverpool, and is less than 10 miles from Crosby Beach, where you'll find 100 of Antony Gormley's cast-iron statues looking out over the bay.
The popular golf club buzzes with activity, thanks to a championship 18-hole course that incorporates pot bunkers, woodland and a number of tricky water hazards. Greener golfers can test their skills at the PGA practice facilities, and there's a challenging links-style par-3 course. Non-golfers can take a dip in the 20-metre indoor pool, unwind in the health club's sauna or work out at the gym. Head upstairs to sample the popular spa, which offers massages, facials and rasul mud treatments, and has a separate thermal suite, sauna, steam room and foot Jacuzzis (supplements apply).
There are two restaurants to choose between. Expect steaks, hearty classics and golf-course views at the newly refurbished Fairway Grill, where the ingredients are locally sourced and portions are large. For more casual fare, including bar food, sandwiches and jacket potatoes, there's the Fairway Bar.
Contemporary rooms all have air conditioning and free Wi-Fi, and the higher categories offer bottled water and views over the golfing greens.