$35 – Scenic Train Ride through Bald Eagle Country
Potomac Eagle Scenic Rail Excursions
Why We Love This Deal
Hop aboard the Potomac Eagle Scenic Railroad to spend a weekend afternoon in West Virginia's South Branch valley -- home to American Bald Eagles.
- For $35, get one adult Coach Trough Trip ticket, ages 13 and up (reg. $50)
- For $69, get two adult Coach Trough Trip tickets (reg. $100)
- For $15, get a child Coach Trough Trip ticket, ages 4-12 (reg. $20)
- For $29, get two child Couch Trough Trip tickets (reg. $40)
- The Trough Trip runs every Saturday-Sunday at 1 p.m. (except the last Saturday of each month) and is a three-hour roundtrip journey from Wappocomo Station along the south branch of the Potomac River through the Trough
Why We Love It
- "Seeing a bald eagle in flight is a real and rare thrill" -- and over 90% of trips have sightings (Washington Post)
- Late summer is the beginning of nesting season for bald eagles
- While eagle sightings aren't guaranteed, beautiful scenery is
- "Railroad enthusiasts will love the classic cars and the vintage diesel engines" (Fun in Fairfax VA)
- Less than a three-hour drive from D.C. or Pittsburgh, making it a great day trip
Voucher can be redeemed immediately; valid for Trough Trips only on Saturdays-Sundays at 1 p.m. in July, August and September, except the last Saturday of each month. Reservations required; subject to availability. Call 304-424-0736 to make a reservation; reference voucher number and PIN. Upon arrival, present printed voucher or display in Travelzoo mobile app. Tax, if applicable, and gratuity are not included. Please tip on the full value. Limit 1 purchase per person; may buy additional as gifts. If limit is exceeded, voucher subject to forfeiture. Children 3 and under are free, but require a ticket; inquire at the time of booking. A 24-hour cancellation policy applies; voucher subject to forfeiture. Not valid on holidays or holiday weekends (call merchant for specific date restrictions). Valid for 1, 2 or 4 people; depending on option purchased. Not valid on products. Cannot combine with other offers. Must use in 1 visit.
(179 Member Ratings)
(179 Member Ratings)
relaxing and nice views
harold Oct 06, 2018 Youngstown, USA
Royce Oct 02, 2018 Pennsauken Township, USA
Alisa Oct 02, 2018 Winchester, USA
We were a good group togther. We could have our own picnic with tables on board and the day was nice bright and sunny.
I expected that it would be more scenic. The river was muddy and not clean blue water May be due to heavy rains in this month
Gita Oct 02, 2018 Rockville, USA
The railway was very smooth and beautiful scenery and did see some birds and nest.
I thought for how much money this cost, the train would have been nicer. Most seats did not have any padding in them even though they were padded seats not wooden or hard. This made it very uncomfortable. I also felt that the ride was too long. I think 2 hrs would have been enough. Three hours was a little too much. People with families seemed to enjoy it. They even brought picnic foods on the train. We did not know that we were allowed to bring any snacks or beverages. Also, quite a drive from Pittsburgh area. Also, could not hear the announcer at all during the trip for historical or natural facts.
Nicole Oct 02, 2018 Natrona Heights, USA
The scenery was breathtaking and the kids really enjoyed seeing the eagles and their nests.
Such a peaceful and pleasant train ride, we look forward to doing this again.
Chantal Oct 02, 2018 Winchester, USA
Perfect weather for this kind of outing
If you take this trip, sit on the left side of the rail car for the better view. Also, if the open-air gondola is available for the "trough" part of the trip, and the weather is good, do not miss that, but again sit (or stand) on the left side if you get there early enough to choose.
Robert Oct 02, 2018 Great Falls, USA
It was a nice day
Staff were helpful and friendly
Peter Oct 02, 2018 Warrenton, USA
Relaxing trip. Nice scenery.
Alan Oct 02, 2018 Greensboro, USA
We couldn't hear the intercom system, so we couldn't hear if there was an eagle somewhere, there was no explanation as to where to sit, or any directions before the trains .
Melinda Oct 01, 2018 AURORA, USA