$1,399 – Discover the World of the Maasai: Tanzania for 2
Why We Love This Deal
Just 15 miles west of Kilimanjaro National Park, the Maasai culture has flourished on the pastoral Tanzanian Steppe for over 400 years. With this exclusive deal, Travelzoo members can experience this rich and wholly unique culture for nearly half-off regular prices through 2022.
You'll spend 5 nights immersed in local customs from sampling traditional Swahili dishes to learning techniques to ward off predators (spear throwing, anyone?), while staying in a customarily built — but very well appointed — bungalow on the steppe itself.
"Excellent, 5.0 / 5.0" — TripAdvisor Reviews
- $1,399 ... two can spend 5 nights with the Maasai people in the foothills of Mount Kilimanjaro from June 2021 - December 2022
- Stay in a Standard or Superior Bungalow — complete with a rainfall shower and day bed on a private outdoor terrace
Travelzoo member perks:
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily, including coffee and tea
- Roundtrip airport transfers
- One full-day game drive to Sinya Nature Reserve or Arusha National Park (excluding a €45 per person entrance fee, payable on site)
- Daily scheduled activities, including a spear-throwing competition, nature walk, Maasai dance at sunset and donkey rides for children
- Guided visit to Sinya Market (on Tuesdays only)
- Add an extra night to your stay for $279 (must be purchased with a valid 5-night voucher)
- Prices are based on two guests sharing a room (not per person), and include VAT (value-added tax)
- Not available: May 1-31, 2022
- Note: Due to local guidelines, some amenities and services may be limited or closed during your visit; please contact the hotel for more details
Why We Love It
- We look at a lot of TripAdvisor Reviews, and we almost never see a hotel that scores a perfect 5.0 out of 5.0 rating in every category — this one does
- It's also one of the only lodgings on the Tanzanian Steppe; each of the bungalows was hand-crafted by the Maasai people, using traditional building techniques
- Per National Geographic, the Maasai are one of the "most vibrant indigenous societies" in Africa — you'll experience their culture first-hand through activities like spear throwing and customary dances
- The views here are genuinely spectacular, with Mount Kilimanjaro looming in the distance, plus local game like zebra and elephants wandering across the steppe
- In addition to eco-friendly measures like solar power on site, the Lodge partners with nearby schools and hospitals to promote sustainable development and foster better understanding between locals and visitors
About the Destination
Tucked along the east coast of Sub-Saharan Africa, Tanzania is a top safari destination thanks to its numerous game reserves and local fauna like zebra and wildebeest, as well as the big five. It's also home to Africa's highest peak, Mount Kilimanjaro, which soars over 19,000 feet.
To reach the lodge, U.S. traveler's will fly into Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO); from there, it's roughly an hourlong drive to the hotel.
Occupancy Rules: Maximum occupancy of two adults and one child 12 years of age and under sharing a bungalow. Children ages 5 and under stay free; children ages 6-12 are an additional 50% of the total price (contact the hotel directly for more details). This hotel is not pet-friendly.
How to Book: Purchase this deal from Travelzoo then follow the instructions on the voucher to make a reservation for your desired travel dates. To check availability or for general questions, please email email@example.com. Guests can combine multiple vouchers for longer stays, subject to restrictions. Reservations are subject to availability and early booking is encouraged.
Cancellation and Other Hotel Policies: Until the voucher’s expiry date, Travelzoo will give you a full refund of your purchase if you can't find dates that suit you or you can't travel. If you already booked your dates, simply cancel with the hotel at least 14 days prior to arrival and contact Travelzoo for a refund. If you cancel or change your booking after that time you may be subject to additional hotel fees. Any unused promotional value credit will be forfeited upon checkout. This deal cannot be combined with other offers. Guests must adhere to hotel rules and policies. Voucher(s) must be used in 1 visit.