The Mermaid Inn
Why We Love It
- This property is in Rye, known for its cobbled lanes & its half-timbered Tudor houses
- This famous former smugglers' inn, which was reportedly visited by Elizabeth I, dates back to 1420
- This hotel has a 2-AA-Rosette restaurant that serves Anglo-French cuisine
- Camber Castle, Henry VIII's 16th-century fort, Rye Harbour Nature Reserve are both 5 minutes' drive away
89% (35 Member Ratings)
Map & Directions
Rooms & Rates
The Mermaid Inn is a former smuggler's hideaway in the village of Rye, on a street described as "storybook lovely" by The Daily Telegraph. Rye, with its sloping cobbled lanes, skewed half-timbered Tudor houses and impressive views over Romney Marsh, is one of the southeast's quaintest towns.
The town is "a little nugget of the past", according to Lonely Planet and is linked to lots of historic tales, many of which involve smugglers and ghosts.
The Mermaid Inn is around five minutes' drive from Camber Castle, a 16th-century fort built by Henry VIII and Rye Harbour Nature Reserve -- an area with dunes, rivers, pits, grazing marshes, reed beds and farmland -- where you might spot rare species like the spangled button beetle. Winchelsea Beach, which is sandy when the tide is out and pebbly when the tide is in, is 10 minutes' drive away and Hastings is around 30 minutes' drive away.
This inn, which was reportedly visited by Queen Elizabeth I and more recently hosted the Queen Mother, dates back to 1420 and its cellars go back further -- to the 12th century. Many of the property's original architectural features remain, including stone fireplaces, an old priest hole, a secret stairway and latticed windows.
There's a 2-AA-Rosette restaurant that "has bags of historic charm and atmosphere", according to The AA Restaurant Guide 2016, and a bar that also serves food.
The Mermaid Inn has 31 unique rooms -- each one is named after a historical person linked to either the inn or the town of Rye. Some of the rooms have carved wooden beds and others feature oak panelling.
- "This famous smugglers' inn is steeped in history… the charming interior has many architectural features such as attractive stone work" -- The AA Hotel Guide 2016
- "Mermaid Street is storybook lovely, with cobbles running steeply downhill and historic houses either side" -- The Daily Telegraph
- "It retains many beautiful, traditional features, including an old priest hole and a secret stairway hidden behind a bookcase" – Frommer's
- "This 600-year-old inn has bags of historic charm and atmosphere" -- The AA Restaurant Guide 2016
- Newspaper / magazines
- Extra beds / roll away beds
- 100% smoke-free
- No elevator / lift
- 24-hour front desk
- 24-hour room service
- Laundry / dry cleaning
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea-making facilities
- Iron and ironing board
- Flatscreen TV
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout
- Luxury toiletries
- Bathtub or shower
- Complimentary parking
- Accessible parking
- Accessible path of travel
Please note: Some amenities may not be available in all rooms and some amenities or services incur an additional charge and are subject to change. Please check with the hotel directly.
Check-in: Standard check-in time: 2pm. Minimum age required to check in: 18.
Checkout: Standard checkout time: 12pm
Children and additional guests:
Infant's cot/crib available on request, free of charge, for children aged 4 and under. This includes breakfast.
Extra bed available on request for older children and adults: £30 per person, per night for children aged 5-15; £60 for children and adults aged 16 and over. This includes breakfast.
Supplements are not included automatically in the total price and will be charged directly by the hotel.
Pets: Dogs are allowed on request, free of charge - and are allowed in the rooms, but not public areas.
Cancellation: Cancellation policy & booking conditions vary by 'rate plan'. These will be displayed on the payment page after you have searched for your dates and selected a rate.
Have a Question?1-877-966-0000 Email Us Check the F.A.Q.
Rates may vary by date, are subject to availability and are not guaranteed until your purchase is complete.
The room rates listed are for double occupancy per room unless otherwise stated and exclude tax recovery charges and service fees.
*Unless otherwise stated, Travelzoo-exclusive extras are valid once per stay (based on two adults sharing). Value is an estimate based on double occupancy. Extras are only included with Member Rates and may not be available on all dates. Extras are non-transferable and have no cash value. Total value may vary depending on time of booking and availability. When included, breakfast may be limited to 2 guests per stay subject to hotel’s discretion. Other restrictions may apply; see our T&Cs for details.
It is the responsibility of the hotel chain and/ or the individual property to ensure the accuracy of the photos displayed. Travelzoo is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the photos.