Why We Love It
- Charming and elegant, this European-style hotel sits a block from Ocean Avenue's shopping and dining
- Aubergine, the intimate 12-table restaurant earns five stars from Forbes and houses a 4,500 bottle wine cellar
- Daily breakfast is included in the rate and comes with local coffee, freshly squeezed orange juice, fruit, eggs and homemade pastries and jam
- Rooms come with Helmut Horn photography, heated bathroom floors and some with Japanese soaking tubs
"Like being transported to a little European village" -- Fodor's
Map & Directions
Rooms & Rates
A stay at the L'Auberge Carmel "is like being transported to a little European village" raves Fodor's of the three-story white stucco abode. Built in 1929 as an apartment building and haven for artists, it is bursting with romantic old-world charm.
It’s tucked onto a quaint leafy street in the bohemian, upscale oceanfront town of Carmel-by-the-Sea and a block from Ocean Avenues quaint shops, art galleries, tasting rooms with estate grown wines and cafes. It’s also an easy four block stroll down to sandy Carmel beach, known for some pretty spectacular sunsets.
There are only 20 guest rooms, arranged around a courtyard fountain, and richly appointed with mahogany bed frames, black and white Helmut Horn photographs and antique fixtures like real brass room keys and French windows. Bathrooms come with hand-hammered copper sinks, Japanese soaking tubs (in some rooms) and heated travertine tile floors. While none of the rooms are air conditioned, the area’s moderate climate means the average temp in the summer is a cool 60 degrees.
For many, the highlight of a stay at L’Auberge is dinner at Aubergine, the intimate 12-table gourmet affair rated a Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star Restaurant. The nightly tasting menu focuses on artful presentation, seasonal farm-to-table ingredients and Monterey County wine pairings from the 4,500 bottle cellar curated by the hotel’s own personal wine director. Guests are also treated to a signature breakfast, with a spread that includes local coffee, fresh squeezed juice, eggs made-to-order, and house-made pastries and jams.
- “Stepping through the doors of this elegant inn is like being transported to a little European village. The rooms are luxurious yet understated...” -- Fodor's
- “The whitewashed interiors of this 1929 luxury hotel channel a Greek Island hideaway...” -- Travel + Leisure
- Newspaper / magazines
- 24-hour front desk
- Complimentary airport transfer
- Business center
- Iron and ironing board
- Mini bar
- Flatscreen TV
- Complimentary Wi-Fi in guest rooms
- Complimentary Wi-Fi in public areas
- Complimentary valet service
Please note: Some amenities may not be available in all rooms and some amenities or services incur an additional charge and are subject to change. Please check with the hotel directly.
Check-in: Standard check-in time: 3.30pm
Checkout: Standard checkout time: 12pm
Pets: Pets allowed
Cancellation: Cancellation policy & booking conditions vary by 'rate plan'. These will be displayed on the payment page after you have searched for your dates and selected a rate.
Pets allowed Check-in time starts at 3.30pm Check-out time is 12pm Know Before You Go
Know Before You Go
The following fees and deposits are charged by the property at time of service, check-in, or check-out.
- Pet fee: USD 100 per stay
- Rollaway bed fee: USD 50 per stay
The above list may not be comprehensive. Fees and deposits may not include tax and are subject to change.
Rates may vary by date, are subject to availability and are not guaranteed until your purchase is complete.
The room rates listed are for double occupancy per room unless otherwise stated and exclude tax recovery charges and service fees.
*Unless otherwise stated, Travelzoo-exclusive extras are valid once per stay (based on two adults sharing). Value is an estimate based on double occupancy. Extras are only included with Member Rates and may not be available on all dates. Extras are non-transferable and have no cash value. Total value may vary depending on time of booking and availability. When included, breakfast may be limited to 2 guests per stay subject to hotel’s discretion. Other restrictions may apply; see our T&Cs for details.
It is the responsibility of the hotel chain and/ or the individual property to ensure the accuracy of the photos displayed. Travelzoo is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the photos.