Rothay Garden Hotel
Why We Love It
- The 2-AA-Rosette restaurant is run by Andrew Burton, one of only 300 Master Chefs of Great Britain
- It's just outside the Lakeland village of Grasmere, near Windermere & Keswick
- The hotel won bronze at the VisitEngland Awards for Excellence 2014 in the Best Small Hotel of the Year category
- The Riverside Spa has floor-to-ceiling windows that open out in the summer
"This stylishly designed hotel offers comfort and luxury" -- The AA
Map & Directions
Rooms & Rates
Rothay Garden Hotel won bronze at the VisitEngland Awards for Excellence 2014 in the Best Small Hotel of the Year category, and is described by The AA as a "stylishly designed hotel", which "offers comfort and luxury". It is set in two acres of grounds on the edge of Grasmere village, less than five miles from Ambleside, and within easy driving distance of Windermere, Keswick and Kendal.
As well as a 2-AA-Rosette Garden Restaurant, it was the winner of the Lakeland Dining Excellence Award at the 2014 Cheshire Life and Lancashire Life Food and Drink Awards, and is listed in the top twenty places to eat out in the Lake District in Lancashire Life. There are also two lounges and a bar.
A visit to the Riverside Spa is a must, with floor-to-ceiling windows, which open out in the summer to showcase the views of the fells. Facilities include a HydroSpa, a herbal pine sauna, an aromatherapy room, monsoon feature showers and a reflexology walk to relax the feet muscles after a day out hiking.
There are 30 bedrooms, split into six different room types from the compact Rydal Rooms to the spacious Premier Suites.
Walk 5-minutes into Grasmere to visit Dove Cottage, once home to poet William Wordsworth , and the Grasmere Gingerbread shop, the former cottage of Victorian cook Sarah Nelson, who created the recipe that is still used today.
A 25-minute drive from the hotel is the village of Hawkshead, which Lonely Planet describes as "a jumble of whitewashed cottages, cobbled lanes and old pubs lost among bottle-green countryside". Drop in at the Beatrix Potter Gallery and Hawkshead to see her original drawings and watercolours.
- "Overlooked by the majestic fells in the Vale of Grasmere, this delightful hotel is the perfect choice to enjoy a holiday in the English Lake District" -- Britain's Finest
- "A four-star Grasmere hotel, offering terrific value, a pretty riverside setting and contemporary décor" -- The Daily Telegraph
- Newspaper / magazines
- Hot Tub / Jacuzzi
- Sauna / Steam Room
- 100% smoke-free
- Beauty treatments / massages (fees apply)
- Laundry / dry cleaning
- Room service (limited hours)
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea-making facilities
- Iron and ironing board
- Outdoor space for some rooms
- Flatscreen TV
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout
- Bathrobes and slippers
- Luxury toiletries
- Bathtub or shower
- Complimentary parking
- Off-street parking
- Accessible bathroom in some rooms
- Accessible parking
- Accessible path of travel
- Accessible restaurant
- ADA compliant rooms
- Facilities for guests with special needs
- Roll-in shower
- Wheelchair accessible
Please note: Some amenities may not be available in all rooms and some amenities or services incur an additional charge and are subject to change. Please check with the hotel directly.
Standard check-in time: 3pm. Minimum age required to check in: 18.
Checkout: Standard checkout time: 11am.
Children and additional guests: Children aged 5 and under are not allowed in the hotel. There is no extra bed available.
Pets: No pets allowed.
Cancellation: Cancellation policy & booking conditions vary by 'rate plan'. These will be displayed on the payment page after you have searched for your dates and selected a rate.
Rates may vary by date, are subject to availability and are not guaranteed until your purchase is complete.
The room rates listed are for double occupancy per room unless otherwise stated and exclude tax recovery charges and service fees.
*Unless otherwise stated, Travelzoo-exclusive extras are valid once per stay (based on two adults sharing). Value is an estimate based on double occupancy. Extras are only included with Member Rates and may not be available on all dates. Extras are non-transferable and have no cash value. Total value may vary depending on time of booking and availability. When included, breakfast may be limited to 2 guests per stay subject to hotel’s discretion. Other restrictions may apply; see our T&Cs for details.
It is the responsibility of the hotel chain and/ or the individual property to ensure the accuracy of the photos displayed. Travelzoo is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the photos.