Why We Love It
- A speakeasy-style property featuring a complimentary wine reception and Wi-Fi access
- Stroll to popular areas of the city, including Union Square shopping and dining
- Saha restaurant serves "excellent Arabic fusion cuisine," says Fodor’s
- The ritzy Nob Hill area is centrally located between Union Square and the Financial District
"The location is prime" -- Gayot
92% (25 Member Ratings)
Map & Directions
Rooms & Rates
Set in vibrant Lower Nob Hill, Hotel Carlton has a penchant for making waves. Built in 1927, the property was once a speakeasy (two brass-lidded evacuation pipes in the lobby were used for throwing away alcohol during police raids). In its present incarnation, the Carlton is a pioneer in the hotel industry’s green movement and was the first U.S. hotel to receive a LEED gold rating.
The Carlton hosts a nightly complimentary wine reception (5:30-6pm) in the lobby, which is elaborately decorated in Indian rugs, velvet sofas and an embellished fireplace. Guest rooms are just as striking with Moroccan bedside tables, colorful bedspreads and exotic trinkets; it feels like "the kind of apartment that would belong to a globe-trotting bohemian aunt" (Fodor’s). Opt for a pricier room on one of the higher floors for city views and a quieter night's sleep.
On the gritty Tenderloin border, the neighborhood surrounding the hotel isn’t the city’s best, but it’s still within walking distance to Union Square, the California Street cable car and the restaurants along buzzing Polk Street. Head to your morning meetings with the complimentary town car transportation -- provided for two hours on weekdays to the Financial District and Civic Center.
- "If you're looking for wonderfully cheap, attractive, and clean accommodations and don't mind being in the gritty center of the city, book a room here" -- Frommer’s
- "The location is prime" -- Gayot
- "Hotel Carlton puts a strong emphasis on green technology and community involvement" -- Travel + Leisure
- Infant cots / cribs
- Newspaper / magazines
- Extra beds / roll away beds
- 24-hour front desk
- Airport transfer (fees apply)
- Concierge service
- Laundry / dry cleaning
- Shuttle service (fees apply)
- Business center
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea-making facilities
- Iron and ironing board
- Flatscreen TV
- iPod/iPhone docking station
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout
- High-Speed Wi-Fi (fees apply)
- Luxury toiletries
- Valet service (fees apply)
- Accessible bathroom in some rooms
- Accessible meeting room
- Accessible path of travel
- Accessible restaurant
- ADA compliant rooms
- Roll-in shower
- Wheelchair accessible
Please note: Some amenities may not be available in all rooms and some amenities or services incur an additional charge and are subject to change. Please check with the hotel directly.
Check-in: Standard check-in time: 3pm. Minimum age required to check in: 18.
Children and additional guests: Children 17 and younger stay free of charge when sharing parents’ room and using existing bedding (on request). Cot/crib available on request, free of charge for children up to the age of 2 in the Superior King & Queen and City View King & Queen Rooms. Extra bed available on request for children and adults in the Superior King & Queen and City View King & Queen Rooms: $20 per night. Charges will be added to your bill on checkout.
Pets: Pets are allowed on request, free of charge. A pet contract must be signed at check-in.
Cancellation: Cancellation policy & booking conditions vary by 'rate plan'. These will be displayed on the payment page after you have searched for your dates and selected a rate.
Have a Question?1-877-966-0000 Email Us Check the F.A.Q.
Rates may vary by date, are subject to availability and are not guaranteed until your purchase is complete.
The room rates listed are for double occupancy per room unless otherwise stated and exclude tax recovery charges and service fees.
*Unless otherwise stated, Travelzoo-exclusive extras are valid once per stay (based on two adults sharing). Value is an estimate based on double occupancy. Extras are only included with Member Rates and may not be available on all dates. Extras are non-transferable and have no cash value. Total value may vary depending on time of booking and availability. When included, breakfast may be limited to 2 guests per stay subject to hotel’s discretion. Other restrictions may apply; see our T&Cs for details.
It is the responsibility of the hotel chain and/ or the individual property to ensure the accuracy of the photos displayed. Travelzoo is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the photos.