Why We Love It
- The hotel occupies a stately Georgian building in the upmarket New Town
- It's walking distance from Edinburgh Castle, the Botanical Gardens and Arthur's Seat
- The bar never closes, the restaurant serves tasty Scottish fare & Wi-Fi is free
- It has "the warm and welcoming feel of a private home", says Red
"A breath of fresh air" -- Red Magazine
Map & Directions
Rooms & Rates
Set within two elegant Georgian houses on a cobbled street in Edinburgh's New Town, Nira Caledonia welcomes guests with class and period features. The hotel dates back to the 19th century, when it was the home of John Wilson, a Scottish writer and hedonist (Christopher North), who was also friends with William Wordsworth and Sir Walter Scott. Today, the property retains its high ceilings, elaborate cornices, chandeliers and original wooden flooring, with a long winding staircase taking pride of place in the lobby.
The hotel's excellent location is within walking distance of the bustling Royal Mile and Arthur's Seat, & the restaurants & bars in the city centre are within 15 minutes' walk. On-site, Blackwood's Restaurant Bar & Grill proudly showcases Scottish produce -- try the Shetland mussels smoked in the chargrill oven, the Gartmorn Farm guinea fowl and the raspberry and Drambuie trifle. The bar never closes and has a good range of whisky and beer, including local favourite Innis and Gunn, which is matured in a whisky cask.
True to the building's historical status, the bedrooms are all unique, and there is no lift to get to the higher floors which may not suit those with mobility needs. Some rooms are particularly cosy (and the bathrooms are small), but the beds are very comfortable, and Nespresso coffee machines, iPod docking stations, Wi-Fi and water and cookies at turndown are all included. Upgrade to a Jacuzzi Suite for your own jetted tub and access to a private garden, or to an Executive Room for views of the nearby Edinburgh Botanical Gardens.
- "A breath of fresh air among its touristy counterparts, it has a no tartan policy and a location that lends itself to walks along the leafy banks of Leith in one direction and the buzzing Princes Street in the other" – Red
- "Despite its grand exteriors and immaculate decor it has no stuffiness and no rules" – Red
- Infant cots / cribs
- Newspaper / magazines
- Extra beds / roll away beds
- No pets allowed
- 24-hour front desk
- 24-hour room service
- 24-hour security
- Airport transfer (fees apply)
- Baby-sitting service on request
- Chauffeur service (fees apply)
- Laundry / dry cleaning
- Room service (limited hours)
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea-making facilities
- Iron and ironing board
- Mini bar
- DVD / CD player & library
- Flatscreen TV
- iPod/iPhone docking station
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout
- Bathrobes and slippers
- Off-street parking (fees apply)
Standard Time is 3pm. Minimum age required to check in: 18.
Minimum age required to check in: 18.
Checkout: Standard Time is 11am.
Children and additional guests:
Children aged 12 and under stay free of charge when sharing parents’ room (on request).
Children aged 12 and under are not permitted in the bar and restaurant after 6pm.
Some Suites may accommodate two extra beds, this is on request, subject to availability and needs to be confirmed before booking.
Pets: No pets allowed.
There is a 2-night minimum stay required on a Saturday and a 3-night minimum stay over New Years.
This does not apply to Travelzoo Deal featured on the Top 20.
Have a Question? Contact Travelzoo.
Customer Service available Mon-Sun, 9am-12 midnight ET