Penmaenuchaf Hall Hotel
Why We Love It
- Stunning location in Snowdonia National Park, overlooking the River Mawddach
- Coed y Brenin Forest Park is only a 10-minute drive & there are hiking, mountain biking & fishing opportunities nearby
- The restaurant has an AA Rosette and is listed in The Michelin Guide 2015
- Bedrooms have free Wi-Fi
"All-encompassing comfort has you captive from the get-go" -- Condé Nast Johansens
Map & Directions
Rooms & Rates
Set in 20 acres of grounds and woodland, the impressive Penmaenuchaf Hall is situated at the end of a long winding drive. The Greystone building was built in 1860 and is in a beautiful spot overlooking the River Mawddach, in the heart of Snowdonia National Park.
Coed y Brenin Forest Park is only a 10-minute drive and is home to a number of mountain bike and hiking trails. Anglers can fish for sea trout in 13 miles of the River Mawddach and the market town of Dolgellau is nearby.
The AA Hotel Guide describes the hotel as a "handsome Victorian pile" with "magnificient views" and it has been given a VisitWales Gold Award. The restaurant has an AA Rosette and is listed in The Michelin Guide. There is a set and à la carte menus available, featuring dishes such as foie gras crème brulée with madeira jelly, roasted fillet of organic pork with black pudding and roasted apple, seared monkfish with roasted chicory and confit peppers. Many of the herbs and vegetables are grown on site and the wine list is excellent.
The hotel is full of little period details -- expect a smattering of antiques, log fires, comfy sofas – and the bedrooms are traditional in décor. Wi-Fi is free throughout and there are bathrobes and tea- and coffee-making facilities provided. Some have small balconies and views over the idyllic grounds, and some are dog friendly (although dogs are not permitted in the rest of the hotel). There are no lifts so ask for a room on the ground floor if you have any mobility requirements.
- "Strikingly beautiful grounds" -- The Guardian
- "A welcoming country-house hotel with beautiful gardens and big views – open fires, panelled walls and good food wait within" -- Sawdays
- "Penmaenuchaf's all-encompassing comfort has you captive from the get-go" -- Condé Nast Johansens
- Newspaper / magazines
- Extra beds / roll away beds
- No elevator / lift
- Beauty treatments / massages (fees apply)
- Express check-in / checkout
- Laundry / dry cleaning
- Room service (limited hours)
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea-making facilities
- Iron and ironing board
- Mini bar
- Jacuzzi in some rooms
- Outdoor space for some rooms
- Flatscreen TV
- iPod/iPhone docking station
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout
- Luxury toiletries
- Bathtub (in some rooms)
- Off-street parking
- Wheelchair accessible
Standard Time is 2pm. Minimum age required to check in: 18.
Minimum age required to check in: 18.
Checkout: Standard Time is 11am.
Children and additional guests: No extra bed available.
Pets: Pets are allowed on request and in one of the Luxury Rooms only. Charges will apply on checkout.
Have a Question? Contact Travelzoo.
Customer Service available Mon-Sun, 9am-9pm ET
(112 Member Ratings)