The Carolina Inn
Why We Love It
- Unique location on the University of North Carolina’s campus
- Both the inn & its on-site restaurant earn AAA 4-Diamond awards
- Live bluegrass concerts are performed every Friday night on the porch in summer
- Property inspired by George Washington’s Mount Vernon & listed on the National Register of Historic Places
"Genteel Southern dignity" -- Frommer’s
Map & Directions
Rooms & Rates
Pack your Carolina Blue jersey for a stay at the historic inn on campus at the University of North Carolina (UNC). The AAA 4-Diamond Carolina Inn has welcomed potential students, returning alumni and those visiting nearby Raleigh and Durham for nearly a century.
Inspired by Mount Vernon and originally built by a university trustee, the red-brick façade features white columns with a two-story portico overlooking a manicured lawn and magnolia trees. The New York Times says the inn "is not your typical on-campus hotel. In-room massages, dry cleaning service and a lobby whose Southern grandeur extends to the hotel’s 184 rooms make it much more than just convenient lodging for visiting parents."
Recently renovated (completed in April 2013), the hotel holds fast to Southern traditions such as afternoon sweet tea on the porch, live bluegrass concerts, and antique furniture, while incorporating modern luxuries including organic bath products and iPod docks in the guest rooms. UNC’s rich history is displayed on hand-painted wallpaper and antiques and works of art can be found around every corner -- the hotel is even listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The AAA 4-Diamond Carolina Crossroads restaurant serves a wide-range of Southern cuisine throughout the day, from homemade pastries at brunch to the daily catch caught off the coast of North Carolina. Prix fixe menus with wine pairings are available for those looking for a fine-dining experience.
- "Part of its appeal derives from its public areas (an interconnected series of graciously appointed living rooms), which emit a genteel Southern dignity" -- Frommer’s
- "For a taste of true Southern cooking, the hotel’s Carolina Crossroads restaurant serves seasonal dishes including peppercorn-dusted pork chops with whipped sweet potatoes" -- Travel + Leisure
- Infant cots / cribs
- Newspaper / magazines
- Extra beds / roll away beds
- Gym / fitness center
- Nightlife / entertainment
- No pets allowed
- 24-hour front desk
- Airport transfer (fees apply)
- Butler service
- Laundry / dry cleaning
- Room service (limited hours)
- Shuttle service (fees apply)
- Business center
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea-making facilities
- Iron and ironing board
- Kitchenette in some rooms
- Sitting area
- Flatscreen TV
- Complimentary Internet access
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout
- Separate shower
- Parking (fees apply)
- Valet service (fees apply)
- Accessible bathroom in some rooms
- Accessible meeting room
- Accessible parking
- Accessible path of travel
- Accessible restaurant
- ADA compliant rooms
- Roll-in shower
- Wheelchair accessible
Please note: Some amenities may not be available in all rooms and some amenities or services incur an additional charge and are subject to change. Please check with the hotel directly.
Check-in: Standard check-in time: 3pm Minimum age required to check in: 18.
Checkout: Standard checkout time: 12pm
Children and additional guests: Children under 18 stay free of charge when sharing parents’ room and using existing bedding on request. Child's cot/crib available free of charge for children on request. Extra bed available on request: $20 per night for children up to the age of 17 and adults in the Superior or Premier rooms only. Charges will be added to your bill on checkout.
Pets: No pets allowed.
Cancellation: Cancellation policy & booking conditions vary by 'rate plan'. These will be displayed on the payment page after you have searched for your dates and selected a rate.
Rates may vary by date, are subject to availability and are not guaranteed until your purchase is complete.
The room rates listed are for double occupancy per room unless otherwise stated and exclude tax recovery charges and service fees.
*Unless otherwise stated, Travelzoo-exclusive extras are valid once per stay (based on two adults sharing). Value is an estimate based on double occupancy. Extras are only included with Member Rates and may not be available on all dates. Extras are non-transferable and have no cash value. Total value may vary depending on time of booking and availability. When included, breakfast may be limited to 2 guests per stay subject to hotel’s discretion. Other restrictions may apply; see our T&Cs for details.
It is the responsibility of the hotel chain and/ or the individual property to ensure the accuracy of the photos displayed. Travelzoo is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the photos.