The Brown Hotel
Why We Love It
- AAA 4-Diamond-rated Louisville classic, located in the theater district
- A destination stay for Kentucky Derby race-goers & celebrities
- Birthplace of the Hot Brown sandwich
- Free 24-hour airport transfers are available from Louisville International Airport
"Storied downtown hotel" -- Lonely Planet
97% (110 Member Ratings)
Map & Directions
Rooms & Rates
A true Southern belle, The Brown Hotel is a Louisville classic with a glittering register of famous past guests, including Elizabeth Taylor, Barack Obama and Muhammad Ali (who has a suite named after him). Built in Georgian Revival style in 1923, this imposing red-brick hotel stretches 16 stories high. The hotel is set right in the heart of the downtown theater district, just two blocks from the restaurants and nightlife of Fourth Street Live. The hotel is a special favorite with race-goers during the Kentucky Derby, which takes place three miles away at Churchill Downs.
It’s an older hotel, so facilities aren’t abundant, but there is an in-house fitness center and free local transfers. Two on-site restaurants cover meals throughout the day: The English Grill for Kentucky fine dining (dinner only; closed on Sundays) and J. Graham’s Café for simple American dishes (breakfast and lunch). Be sure to try the Hot Brown sandwich, invented at The Brown in 1926 and composed of roasted turkey and toast covered in Mornay sauce and Pecorino Romano cheese and topped with bacon and tomato. After dark, retire to the lobby bar for a mint julep or just a pour of good ol' Kentucky bourbon.
Rooms are quiet and comfortable and have old-fashioned décor with tufted carpets, opulent drapes and antique furniture. Equestrian prints decorate the walls, and bathrooms have Spanish marble floors. Standard rooms are small but a good value; splurge on a Luxury rooms for more space and four-poster beds. Opt for a Club Floor room for access to the exclusive Club Lounge, where free hors d'oeuvres, wine and beer are served every evening.
- "Opera stars, queens and prime ministers have trod the marble floors of this storied downtown hotel" -- Lonely Planet
- "Classic luxury hotel with early 20th-century style and Southern charm, the Brown Hotel is surrounded by entertainment options and restaurants, including the hotel's own highly regarded English Grill" -- The Guardian
- Infant cots / cribs
- Newspaper / magazines
- Extra beds / roll away beds
- Gym / fitness center
- No pets allowed
- 24-hour front desk
- 24-hour room service
- 24-hour security
- Baby-sitting service on request
- Complimentary airport transfer
- Complimentary shuttle service
- Express check-in / checkout
- Laundry / dry cleaning
- Room service (limited hours)
- Safe in reception (fees apply)
- Business center
- Central heating
- Iron and ironing board
- Jacuzzi in some rooms
- Pay-per-view / movies on demand
- Flatscreen TV
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout
- Luxury toiletries
- Off-street parking (fees apply)
- Parking (fees apply)
- Public car park (fees apply)
- Valet service (fees apply)
- Accessible bathroom in some rooms
- Accessible meeting room
- Accessible parking
- Accessible path of travel
- Accessible restaurant
- ADA compliant rooms
Please note: Some amenities may not be available in all rooms and some amenities or services incur an additional charge and are subject to change. Please check with the hotel directly.
Check-in: Standard check-in time: 4pm.
Checkout: Standard checkout time: 11am.
Children and additional guests: Children up to age 17 stay free of charge when sharing parents’ room and using existing bedding (on request). Child's cot/crib available free of charge for children (on request). Extra bed available (on request): $20 per night for children up to the age of 17 and for adults. Charges will be added to your bill on checkout.
Pets: No pets allowed.
Cancellation: Cancellation policy & booking conditions vary by 'rate plan'. These will be displayed on the payment page after you have searched for your dates and selected a rate.
Additional details: Minimum stay of 3 nights required for the first weekend in May each year for Derby weekend.
Have a Question?1-877-966-0000 Email Us Check the F.A.Q.
Rates may vary by date, are subject to availability and are not guaranteed until your purchase is complete.
The room rates listed are for double occupancy per room unless otherwise stated and exclude tax recovery charges and service fees.
*Unless otherwise stated, Travelzoo-exclusive extras are valid once per stay (based on two adults sharing). Value is an estimate based on double occupancy. Extras are only included with Member Rates and may not be available on all dates. Extras are non-transferable and have no cash value. Total value may vary depending on time of booking and availability. When included, breakfast may be limited to 2 guests per stay subject to hotel’s discretion. Other restrictions may apply; see our T&Cs for details.
It is the responsibility of the hotel chain and/ or the individual property to ensure the accuracy of the photos displayed. Travelzoo is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the photos.