The Horn of Plenty
Why We Love It
- "One of Britain’s best country-house hotels," says The AA Hotel Guide
- The hotel is set on five acres of gardens, a mile from the Cornish border
- The 2-Rosette restaurant uses produce from the hotel’s garden in Modern British dishes
- It has a cozy, intimate feel and offers unobstructed Tamar Valley views
"One of Britain's best" -- The AA Hotel Guide
Map & Directions
Rooms & Rates
OverviewThe Good Food Guide asserts that "rural England barely gets more picture-postcard than this," and indeed The Horn of Plenty impresses with romantic bedrooms, a 2-AA-Rosette restaurant and picturesque Tamar Valley views. The hotel is set on five acres of well-tended sloping gardens, perched on a hillside in the heart of the UNESCO-recognized Cornwall and West Devon mining country. A mile's drive into the misty valley will take you across the Cornish border.
The property dates back to 1866, when it was built for the manager of the Duke of Bedford’s mines, and it is cozily furnished with Georgian-style trimmings, including gilt-framed pictures and a cast-iron fireplace in the lounge -- as The Guardian says, "this is a relaxed, put-your-feet-up sort of place."
Luckily for guests, classic fine dining is available on the premises, and the views are "ravishing," notes The Good Food Guide. The Modern British dishes boast fresh produce from the hotel’s own kitchen garden -- try the beetroot mousse with goat’s cheese parfait and gingerbread, whole roast partridge with candied walnuts and quince puree, or the Tavistock cheese plate. Dine in the formal dining room or out on the pretty terrace (lunchtime only).
It’s an intimate property, with rooms spread across the manor and a garden annex. All are uniquely decorated and have large windows, most offering unobstructed views of the walled garden or the wooded valley below. Many also have stand-alone tubs, balconies or terraces. Pets are welcome in Garden rooms (extra charge applies), which are more contemporary and come with modern bathroom suites.
- "With stunning views over the Tamar Valley, The Horn of Plenty maintains its reputation as one of Britain’s best country-house hotels" -- The AA Hotel Guide
- "Linen-laid dining room offers classical menu and impressive outlook" -- Michelin Guide
- "Rural England barely gets more picture-postcard than this" -- The Good Food Guide
- 100% smoke-free
- Concierge service
- Safe in reception (fees apply)
- Coffee / tea-making facilities
- Mini bar
- DVD / CD player & library
- Flatscreen TV
- Complimentary Wi-Fi in guest rooms
- Complimentary Wi-Fi in public areas
- Luxury toiletries
Please note: Some amenities may not be available in all rooms and some amenities or services incur an additional charge and are subject to change. Please check with the hotel directly.
Pets: Pets allowed
Cancellation: Cancellation policy & booking conditions vary by 'rate plan'. These will be displayed on the payment page after you have searched for your dates and selected a rate.
Pets allowed Check-in time starts at 3pm Check-out time is 11am Know Before You Go
Know Before You Go
The following fees and deposits are charged by the property at time of service, check-in, or check-out.
- Pet fee: GBP 10 per pet, per night
- Rollaway bed fee: GBP 20 per night
The above list may not be comprehensive. Fees and deposits may not include tax and are subject to change.
Rates may vary by date, are subject to availability and are not guaranteed until your purchase is complete.
The room rates listed are for double occupancy per room unless otherwise stated and exclude tax recovery charges and service fees.
*Unless otherwise stated, Travelzoo-exclusive extras are valid once per stay (based on two adults sharing). Value is an estimate based on double occupancy. Extras are only included with Member Rates and may not be available on all dates. Extras are non-transferable and have no cash value. Total value may vary depending on time of booking and availability. When included, breakfast may be limited to 2 guests per stay subject to hotel’s discretion. Other restrictions may apply; see our T&Cs for details.
It is the responsibility of the hotel chain and/ or the individual property to ensure the accuracy of the photos displayed. Travelzoo is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the photos.