Why We Love It
- Family-owned hotel on a canal in charming Grachtengordel
- The property dates back to the 17th century & was a safe house in World War II
- Guests can order in from the Michelin-rated restaurant nearby
- There's free Wi-Fi available
"One of Amsterdam's hidden treasures" -- Frommer's
Map & Directions
Rooms & Rates
A former safe house in World War II, The Toren is a petite, family-owned hotel with a friendly, relaxed atmosphere and service that "often exceeds expectations" (Fodor's). The property is hidden on a quiet, tree-lined street in historic Grachtengordel and is just a block from The Anne Frank House (book in advance to avoid the long lines).
The hotel comprises two 17th-century townhouses that were revamped in 2008 with more than a nod to Baroque styling. The interiors are swathed in purple velvet, and there are fringes and chandeliers galore.
Although there is no in-house restaurant, there is a decent morning breakfast spread, and dinner can be ordered from the Michelin-rated restaurant, Christophe, around the corner (6:30-10pm, Tuesday-Saturday). Dishes such as roasted lobster with sweet garlic and salted crème brûlée are a definite step up from regular room service offerings, and guests can choose to dine in the wood-paneled bar or in the privacy of their own room.
The theatrical theme continues in the bedrooms, where the décor is reminiscent of a "classy 19th-century bordello" (Frommer's), opulently finished with colorful mood lighting. All have canal views, modern four-poster beds and Nespresso machines. Most also have Jacuzzi baths, some set in the middle of the bedroom.
Cheaper rooms can be small, as is common with historic canal houses. Opt for a Junior or Royal Suite for more room and conventional bathing arrangements, or upgrade to the Garden Cottage eight doors down -- described by Fodor's as "one of the city's nicest getaways" -- for your own private steam room.
- "Wonderful service and staff make the reasonable room prices seem a bargain" -- The Telegraph
- "A lovely garden cottage is one of the city's nicest getaways" -- Fodor's
- "Justifiably considered one of Amsterdam's hidden treasures" -- Frommer's
- 24-hour front desk
- Airport transfer (fees apply)
- Baby-sitting service on request
- Concierge service
- Laundry / dry cleaning
- Room service (limited hours)
- Mini bar
- Pay-per-view / movies on demand
- Flatscreen TV
- Complimentary Wi-Fi in guest rooms
- Complimentary Wi-Fi in public areas
- Valet service (fees apply)
Please note: Some amenities may not be available in all rooms and some amenities or services incur an additional charge and are subject to change. Please check with the hotel directly.
Check-in: Standard check-in time: 2pm.
Checkout: Standard checkout time: 12pm.
Pets: Pets allowed
Cancellation: Cancellation policy & booking conditions vary by 'rate plan'. These will be displayed on the payment page after you have searched for your dates and selected a rate.
Pets allowed Check-in time starts at 3pm Check-out time is 12pm Know Before You Go
Know Before You Go
The following fees and deposits are charged by the property at time of service, check-in, or check-out.
- Fee for buffet breakfast: EUR 14 for adults and EUR 7 for children (approximately)
- Airport shuttle fee: EUR 18 per person (roundtrip)
- Airport shuttle fee per child: EUR 14 (roundtrip), (from 3 to 10 years old)
- Pet fee: EUR 10 per night (maximum EUR 100 per stay) plus EUR 10 one-time cleaning fee
- Rollaway beds are available for an additional fee
The above list may not be comprehensive. Fees and deposits may not include tax and are subject to change.
Mandatory Fees and Taxes
You'll be asked to pay the following charges at the property:
- Deposit: EUR 50 per stay
- A 4.7149 percent city/local tax will be charged
We have included all charges provided to us by the property. However, charges can vary, for example, based on length of stay or the room you book.
Rates may vary by date, are subject to availability and are not guaranteed until your purchase is complete.
The room rates listed are for double occupancy per room unless otherwise stated and exclude tax recovery charges and service fees.
*Unless otherwise stated, Travelzoo-exclusive extras are valid once per stay (based on two adults sharing). Value is an estimate based on double occupancy. Extras are only included with Member Rates and may not be available on all dates. Extras are non-transferable and have no cash value. Total value may vary depending on time of booking and availability. When included, breakfast may be limited to 2 guests per stay subject to hotel’s discretion. Other restrictions may apply; see our T&Cs for details.
It is the responsibility of the hotel chain and/ or the individual property to ensure the accuracy of the photos displayed. Travelzoo is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the photos.