$99 – Sointula Village Stay with Ocean Views, Reg. $149
For a true escape, one must be willing to make the journey. Travelzoo members can settle into the village lifestyle at this quiet seaside hotel on Malcolm Island -- save over 30% when staying two nights or more in this "under-the-radar piece of paradise" (Canadian Geographic Travel).
- What's included:
- Travel through Jan. 2
- $99 per night ... Oceanfront Queen Room
- $119 per night ... Superior Queen Room
- All options require a two-night minimum stay
- Price based on up to two guests sharing a room
- Additional adults are an extra $20 per night; children ages 12 and under stay free of charge when using existing bedding
- These rates are refundable; cancel up to 2 p.m. on the date of arrival to avoid penalties
- No resort fee
- Free Wi-Fi
- Self-parking is complimentary
- Pet-friendly; additional fees apply
- For more details, see "Policies" and "Amenities" sections
What you need to know:
Why We Love It
- Malcolm Island was listed as one of "Canada's Best Island Getaways" by Canadian Geographic Travel magazine in 2017
- Earns 4.5 stars on TripAdvisor -- reviewers praise the down-to-earth vibe
- The hotel is right on the beach and has panoramic sea views -- some rooms have private balconies overlooking the water
- It's 100 metres from the ferry terminal; Port McNeil is a 30-minute ferry ride away
Off the beaten path on Malcolm Island is the village of Sointula -- Finnish for “place of harmony.” The charming seaside town was founded in the early 1900s by settlers from Finland and has been drawing visitors seeking to experience the pleasures of village life for decades. A short walk from the ferry terminal sits Oceanfront Hotel, a no-fuss, 20-room property with 140 feet of lowbank waterfront overlooking the Broughton Strait off North Vancouver Island. Here, guests will appreciate the homey atmosphere, quiet lifestyle and even free bike rentals for exploring the historic town. There are plenty of trails to tour -- many along the coast, where whales are regularly spotted.
Some of the hotel’s modestly designed rooms give way to the real showstopper – the panoramic water views. These rooms have private balconies with intimate seating overlooking the Strait; perfect for sinking into island life. Families can spread out in some of the more expansive rooms and suites with kitchenettes, and guests are free to utilize the shared kitchen on site. For those who don’t wish to disconnect completely, each room has free Wi-Fi.
To get the full North Island experience, be sure to check out the U'mista Cultural Centre and Sointula Museum, and ask the Oceanfront Hotel team members about taking the ferry to what Lonely Planet calls the “highly photogenic” Alert Bay – the hotel staff has some great local tips.
- Extra beds (fees apply)
- 100% smoke-free
- No elevator / lift
- 24-hour front desk
- Concierge service
- Coffee / tea-making facilities
- Kitchenette in some rooms
- Outdoor space for some rooms
- Complimentary Internet access
- Complimentary Wi-Fi in guest rooms
- Complimentary Wi-Fi in public areas
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout
- Bathtub (in some rooms)
- Bathtub or shower
- Complimentary parking
- Accessible bathroom in some rooms
- Accessible parking
- ADA compliant rooms
- Wheelchair accessible
Check-in: Standard Time is 2pm.
Checkout: Standard Time is 11am.
Children and additional guests:
Children 12 and under stay free of charge when using existing bedding. Cribs are not available.
Extra bedding available upon request: $20 inclusive of tax, per night.
Extra beds for children are free.
Rates are based on double occupancy. Extra occupant fee for guests over the age of 12 is CA$20.00 (subject to tax, per person per night) and will be added to the total price at check-out.
Charges will be added to your bill at the hotel.
Cribs are not available.
Pets: Pets are allowed on request and will be charged at $25 inclusive of tax per pet per stay.
Cancellation: Cancellation policy & booking conditions vary by 'rate plan'. These will be displayed on the payment page after you have searched for your dates and selected a rate.
Over 30% Off
$99 / night
When You Can Go
Through Jan. 2
Getting ThereFrom Nanaimo, it's approximately a 4.5-hour drive to Port McNeil, where you can catch the ferry to Malcolm Island -- the ferry ride is approximately 30 minutes.
Have a Question? Contact Travelzoo.
Customer Service available Mon-Sun, 9am-9pm ET
Rates may vary by date, are subject to availability and are not guaranteed until your purchase is complete.
The room rates listed are for double occupancy per room unless otherwise stated and exclude tax recovery charges and service fees.
It is the responsibility of the hotel chain and/or the individual property to ensure the accuracy of the photos displayed. Travelzoo is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the photos.
*Unless otherwise stated, Travelzoo-exclusive extras are valid once per stay (based on two adults sharing). Value is an estimate based on double occupancy. Extras are only included with Member Rates and may not be available on all dates. Extras are non-transferable and have no cash value. Total value may vary depending on time of booking and availability. When included, breakfast may be limited to 2 guests per stay subject to hotel’s discretion. Other restrictions may apply; see our T&Cs for details.
Please note: Some amenities and services may not be available in all rooms or may incur an additional charge. All prices stated have been verified at the time of publication and may vary at the discretion of the hotel.
(10 Member Ratings)