The Rubens at the Palace
About the Hotel
- Overnight accommodation in a Classic Double Room, with full English breakfast, for two
- A cocktail each in the New York Bar (worth $29 per person, once per stay)
- $243... Sundays in a Classic Double Room
- $300... Sundays in a Superior King Room
- $314... Sundays in a Royal Mews View King Room
- $357... Sundays in a Executive King Room
- Monday-Saturday stays are an extra $43 for the above room types until 30 March and an extra $57 in April
- Stay in a Junior Suite for $487 (valid daily until 30 March; April stays are $14 more)
Why We Love This Hotel
- The property overlooks the Royal Mews, and is just around the corner from Buckingham Palace
- The hotel won a Condé Nast Johansens Award for Excellence 2020 for the quality of its service
- Dining options include the 2-AA-Rosette English Grill and the Curry Room, which also holds an AA Rosette
- Its living wall is one of the largest in London, with more than 10,000 plants
The 5-star Rubens at the Palace boasts an "enviable" (The AA) location opposite the Royal Mews and around the corner from Buckingham Palace itself.
Opened as a hotel in 1912, The Rubens was immediately popular with debutantes attending royal parties at the Palace. It has won numerous awards, including a Condé Nast Johansens Award for Excellence 2020 for the quality of its service, and its location is excellent for exploring some of London's landmark attractions on foot. It's five minutes' walk from St James's Park, 10 minutes' walk from Green Park, and 15 minutes' walk from Westminster Abbey and the Houses of Parliament.
The property has traditional English decor, including marble floors and crystal chandeliers, and its bedrooms, some of which are Royal-themed, are filled with antiques and original artwork, including portraits of the Queen, Prince Charles and Prince Williams. Like many historic hotels, some bedrooms are on the small side, but they are charmingly decorated and quiet, with double glazing to keep street noise to a minimum.
The exterior of the hotel features a 350-square-metre living wall with more than 10,000 plants. One of the biggest living walls in London, it helps to improve local air quality, provides a habitat for animals and birds, and helps cool the building in summer and heat it in winter.
Families are well cared for, with interconnecting rooms, pull-out sofa beds in the more spacious Executive King Rooms, treats at turndown and even a "Director of Fun and Adventure", to help you make the most of your stay. Pets are also welcome (charges apply).
The property underwent a multimillion-pound refurbishment, which was completed in April, 2018, and included all bedrooms, the brand-new Leopard Bar and both the hotel's restaurants: the 2-AA-Rosette English Grill, which has been run by the same family since 1912, and the AA-Rosette-awarded Curry Room, which features a menu designed in collaboration with the team at the Rubens's sister property, the renowned Oyster Box in Durban, South Africa. Afternoon tea is available at the Palace Lounge, which has has floor-to-ceiling windows with views of the Royal Mews.
There is live jazz music most nights in both The Leopard Bar and the New York bar.
- Infant cots / cribs
- Newspaper / magazines
- Extra beds / roll away beds
- Fitness classes
- 24-hour front desk
- 24-hour room service
- 24-hour security
- Airport transfer (fees apply)
- Baby-sitting service on request
- Beauty treatments / massages (fees apply)
- Bike rental
- Butler service
- Chauffeur service (fees apply)
- Concierge service
- Currency exchange / ATM
- Express check-in / checkout
- Laundry / dry cleaning
- Pillow menu
- Room service (limited hours)
- Safe in reception (fees apply)
- Business center
- Coffee / tea-making facilities
- Iron and ironing board
- Pay-per-view / movies on demand
- Sitting area
- Flatscreen TV
- iPod/iPhone docking station
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout
- Luxury toiletries
- Public car park (fees apply)
Standard Time is 2pm.
Minimum age required to check in: 18.
Checkout: Standard Time is 12pm.
Children and additional guests:
A child 11 and under may stay free of charge when using existing bedding.
Extra beds are not available.
Crib/Pack 'n Play not available.
Please use the Special Request field to confirm the age of the third guest.
Pets: Pets are allowed on request. Charges will apply.
Cancellation: Cancellation policy & booking conditions vary by 'rate plan'. These will be displayed on the payment page after you have searched for your dates and selected a rate.
Have a Question? Contact Travelzoo.
Customer Service available Mon-Sun, 9am-9pm ET
Rates may vary by date, are subject to availability and are not guaranteed until your purchase is complete.
The room rates listed are for double occupancy per room unless otherwise stated and exclude tax recovery charges and service fees.
It is the responsibility of the hotel chain and/or the individual property to ensure the accuracy of the photos displayed. Travelzoo is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the photos.
*Unless otherwise stated, Travelzoo-exclusive extras are valid once per stay (based on two adults sharing). Value is an estimate based on double occupancy. Extras are only included with Member Rates and may not be available on all dates. Extras are non-transferable and have no cash value. Total value may vary depending on time of booking and availability. When included, breakfast may be limited to 2 guests per stay subject to hotel’s discretion. Other restrictions may apply; see our T&Cs for details.
Please note: Some amenities and services may not be available in all rooms or may incur an additional charge. All prices stated have been verified at the time of publication and may vary at the discretion of the hotel.
(24 Member Ratings)