The George in Rye
Why We Love It
- This historic property dates back to 1575 and is Rye's oldest coaching inn
- Expect individually designed rooms with tons of character
- You'll be in good company: previous guests include George Clooney, Matt Damon, Ian McKellan and Kevin Costner
- Nearby, explore Battle Abbey (on the site of the Battle of Hastings), Camber Castle, Camber Sands and Lamb House, where writer Henry James often stayed
"A haven on the south coast" -- Condé Nast Traveller
Map & Directions
Rooms & Rates
Dating back to 1575, this restored East Sussex coaching inn is now a boutique hotel that blends historic charm with contemporary comforts.
The hotel has 34 individually designed rooms with bespoke furniture, DVD libraries and free Wi-Fi, plus bathrooms featuring marble-top baths, chrome power showers and REN products.
The seasonal menu in the George Grill features locally sourced fare with a wood-charcoal grill at the heart of the kitchen to prepare seafood just caught from Rye Bay, local meats and vegetables.
The hotel is in the centre of Rye, described by Lonely Planet as "one of England's most beautiful medieval villages", known for its art scene, antiques and local seafood. Take a pleasant stroll through the unhurried cobbled streets, admire the historic architecture and browse the many boutique shops. Other nearby attractions include Battle Abbey (built on the site of the Battle of Hastings), Camber Castle, Lamb House where writer Henry James often stayed, and Camber Sands.
- "This handsome four-star hotel successfully marries the historic and the modern with aplomb" -- Marie Claire
- "This 18th-century coaching inn offers a friendly welcome and top-notch food" -- Time Out
- "Old meets new at the George - exposed beams, wood panelled walls, chic contemporary bedrooms and a restaurant serving brasserie style food" -- Alastair Sawday's Special Places to Stay
- Infant cots / cribs
- Newspaper / magazines
- Extra beds / roll away beds
- No pets allowed
- 100% smoke-free
- 24-hour front desk
- 24-hour room service
- 24-hour security
- Room service (limited hours)
- Safe in reception
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea-making facilities
- Iron and ironing board
- Sitting area
- DVD / CD player & library
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout
- High-Speed Wi-Fi (fees apply)
- Luxury toiletries
- Bathtub or shower
- Off-street parking (fees apply)
- Public car park (fees apply)
- Accessible restaurant
Please note: Some amenities may not be available in all rooms and some amenities or services incur an additional charge and are subject to change. Please check with the hotel directly.
Check-in: Standard Time is 3pm.
Checkout: Standard Time is 11am.
Cancellation: Cancellation policy & booking conditions vary by 'rate plan'. These will be displayed on the payment page after you have searched for your dates and selected a rate.
Pets not allowed Check-in time starts at 3pm Check-out time is 11am Know Before You Go
Know Before You Go
The following fees and deposits are charged by the property at time of service, check-in, or check-out.
- Crib (infant bed) fee: GBP 10.00 per night
- Rollaway bed fee: GBP 20 per night
The above list may not be comprehensive. Fees and deposits may not include tax and are subject to change.
Mandatory Fees and Taxes
The charges below are included in your overall room price:
- Resort fee
We have included all charges provided to us by the property. However, charges can vary, for example, based on length of stay or the room you book.
Have a Question? Contact Travelzoo.
Customer Service available Mon-Sun, 9am-12 midnight ET
Rates may vary by date, are subject to availability and are not guaranteed until your purchase is complete.
The room rates listed are for double occupancy per room unless otherwise stated and exclude tax recovery charges and service fees.
It is the responsibility of the hotel chain and/or the individual property to ensure the accuracy of the photos displayed. Travelzoo is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the photos.
*Unless otherwise stated, Travelzoo-exclusive extras are valid once per stay (based on two adults sharing). Value is an estimate based on double occupancy. Extras are only included with Member Rates and may not be available on all dates. Extras are non-transferable and have no cash value. Total value may vary depending on time of booking and availability. When included, breakfast may be limited to 2 guests per stay subject to hotel’s discretion. Other restrictions may apply; see our T&Cs for details.
(9 Member Ratings)