Packing List: Safari Vacation
5 Things You Won't Want to Forget for a Safari Vacation
1. Flashlight: For when things go bump in the night or you need to make your way between tents.
2. Binoculars: Great binoculars can make your trip when it comes to wildlife sightings.
3. A waterproof, light-colored camera bag: If you’re using a “real” camera (hint: not your smartphone), you’ll want to protect it with a waterproof camera bag. We recommend one that is a lighter color, as black bags will soak in much more heat.
4. Safari-appropriate clothing: That means shoes to change into at the end of the day, color-appropriate clothing (white will stand out too much to animals) made from moisture-wicking fabrics and, yes, a hat that ties under the chin so it won’t blow off.
5. Health preparations: Talk to your doctor prior to the trip about medications you may want to bring along as a preventative measure. Don’t forget the insect repellant, and talk to your safari provider about whether mosquito netting is provided.
Complete Packing List for a Safari Vacation
Clothing & Accessories
Footwear is essential: Bring comfortable hiking shoes, sneakers and flipflops for the end of the day. Look for moisture-wicking clothing to help combat the heat. It should be in neutral colors (such as grab greens and browns) for best wildlife viewing. Don't forget a swimsuit and hat. Pack it all in a duffel that you can carry, as opposed to a wheeled suitcase.
- Hanging toiletry bag
- Medications, including any doctor-prescribed antibiotics or anti-malarial pills
- Small first-aid kit, especially Band-Aids and antibiotic ointment
- Insect repellant and cortisone cream
- Glasses, contact solution, case and extra pairs
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Dental floss
- Sanitary products
- Brush or comb
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Hand sanitizer
- Soap for laundry and clothesline
- Nasal spray
- Travel alarm clock and watch
- Power/plug adapters
- Phone charger
- eReader or tablet with chargers
- Camera with charger and waterproof bag
- Driver’s license
- Health insurance card
- Air/train/rail passes
- Photocopies of vital documents
- Cash in smaller bills for tips
- Credit and debit cards
- Copies of your itinerary
- Emergency list of contact numbers for your credit card company and airline
- Guidebooks and maps
- Mosquito netting
- Notebook and pen
- Multiple sizes of zip-top bags
- Refillable water bottle with filter
- Travel pillow
- Eyemask and earplugs
- Pocket knife
- Reading materials
- String or rope
- Travel soap for laundry
- Waterproof matches