$365 – Gourmet retreat w/Lake Windermere views, 34% off
You can now save up to 34% on dinner, bed and breakfast stays for two at Holbeck Ghyll Country House Hotel -- a premium property in the Lake District that boasts plenty of accolades, including a 4-AA-Red-Star rating. For $365, this mouth-watering deal includes:
- Accommodation in a Country House Fell View Classic Room or Country House Fell View Double Room (subject to availability on booking), with a traditional Cumbrian breakfast and a 3-course dinner with pre-dinner canapés and amuse-bouches, for two
- You can book a 2-night stay for $549 (extra night B&B)
- Upgrade to a Contemporary Lake View Junior Suite for an extra $138 per night
- Fridays are an additional $46
- Saturdays are an additional $46 and require a 2-night minimum stay
"Holbeck Ghyll is totally stunning all round" -- Square Meal
Why We Love It
- The property offers top-notch food and views of Lake Windermere to match
- Dishes in the restaurant have "tempering robust flavours with elegant presentation", says Square Meal
- Previous guests include Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon, who filmed an episode of BBC's "The Trip" here
- The hotel has been awarded four AA Red Stars for outstanding levels of hospitality and service
- We've also negotiated an afternoon tea for two, for £32.50
Holbeck Ghyll Country House Hotel is a former hunting lodge perched above Lake Windermere. It's got accolades galore, including a Michelin Guide-listed restaurant and four AA Red Stars.
On top of that there's a spa with a sauna and a steam room, a gym, a boutique store and a helicopter landing pad (on request) in case driving isn't your style.
Eating here is a treat -- expect fresh bread and pastries, fruit, cereals, smoked haddock and local free-range eggs for breakfast. For dinner in the oak-panelled restaurant, "foodie heaven is dished up on a plate", says Condé Nast Johansens. There's an extensive wine list, which was awarded two out of three stars by The World of Fine Wine in 2017, and almost 50 variations of whisky. Port, champagne and cocktails are also on offer.
Bedrooms are split across the main house, The Lodge, which has inter-connecting and dog-friendly rooms, and two cottages. The Miss Potter suite has an outdoor hot tub and is where Renée Zellweger stayed while filming the 2006 movie "Miss Potter".
The hotel is a great base from which to explore the local area -- it's halfway between Bowness-on-Windermere and Ambleside, and the town of Windermere is around five minutes away by car. Dove Cottage, a 15-minute drive away, is where poet William Wordsworth lived from 1799-1808, when he wrote most of his poems. You can take a guided tour of the house and gardens, and visit The Wordsworth Museum, which displays his original letters, journals and poems.
Brockhole -- The Lake District Visitor Centre, is a 5-minute drive from the hotel and is a family-focused attraction with landscaped Arts and Crafts gardens, an adventure playground and mini golf, plus bike and boat hire.
- "It's all about staggering scenery, culinary genius and profound peace at Holbeck Ghyll" -- Condé Nast Johansens
- "One of the top dogs in the Lakes dining scene" -- Lancashire Life
- "Holbeck Ghyll sits high up overlooking the majestic Lake Windermere" -- The AA Hotel Guide 2018
- Infant cots / cribs
- Newspaper / magazines
- Hot Tub / Jacuzzi
- Sauna / Steam Room
- Tennis courts
- No pets allowed
- 100% smoke-free
- No elevator / lift
- 24-hour front desk
- Beauty treatments / massages (fees apply)
- Laundry / dry cleaning
- Room service (limited hours)
- Safe in reception
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea-making facilities
- Iron and ironing board
- Jacuzzi in some rooms
- Outdoor space for some rooms
- DVD / CD player & library
- iPod/iPhone docking station
- Complimentary Wi-Fi in public areas
- Bathrobes and slippers
- Luxury toiletries
- Bathtub or shower
- Complimentary parking
- Accessible parking
- Accessible path of travel
- Accessible restaurant
- Accessible spa
Please note: Some amenities may not be available in all rooms and some amenities or services incur an additional charge and are subject to change. Please check with the hotel directly.
Standard Time is 2pm. Minimum age required to check in: 18.
Minimum age required to check in: 18.
Checkout: Standard Time is 11am.
Children and additional guests:
A maximum of two children aged 8 to 16 are welcome to stay with their parents. An extra guest charge will apply as follows: £25 per night per child. This includes breakfast. Extra beds are not available outside of this age range.
Extra beds must be requested upon booking. Please use the Special Request field on the checkout page to request an extra bed and confirm the age of the extra guest.
Supplements are not included automatically in the total price and will be charged directly by the hotel. See room descriptions and rate policies for information about room occupancy and prices.
Dogs are allowed on request, except in Contemporary Lake View Junior Suites, and will be charged at £15 per night. Supplements are not included automatically in the total price and will be charged directly by the hotel.
Cancellation: Cancellation policy & booking conditions vary by 'rate plan'. These will be displayed on the payment page after you have searched for your dates and selected a rate.
$365 / night
When You Can Go
Sun-Thu 1 May-31 Jul; +$46 Fri-Sat
Getting ThereThe hotel is between Windermere and Ambleside, close to the village of Troutbeck. Windermere railway station is around 10 minutes' drive away and has services to Oxenholme, for trains to London Euston. A taxi is around £11-£14, each way. Parking is free.
Have a Question? Contact Travelzoo.
Rates may vary by date, are subject to availability and are not guaranteed until your purchase is complete.
The room rates listed are for double occupancy per room unless otherwise stated and exclude tax recovery charges and service fees.
It is the responsibility of the hotel chain and/or the individual property to ensure the accuracy of the photos displayed. Travelzoo is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the photos.
*Unless otherwise stated, Travelzoo-exclusive extras are valid once per stay (based on two adults sharing). Value is an estimate based on double occupancy. Extras are only included with Member Rates and may not be available on all dates. Extras are non-transferable and have no cash value. Total value may vary depending on time of booking and availability. When included, breakfast may be limited to 2 guests per stay subject to hotel’s discretion. Other restrictions may apply; see our T&Cs for details.
(59 Member Ratings)