Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
Why We Love It
- Sleek hotel on Alster Canal, in the historic heart of Hamburg
- Walking distance from Alster Lakes, HafenCity & museums
- You can order cocktails on the hotel’s terrace, which has lovely views over the canal
- A gorgeous indoor pool -- it looks like a glittering river & ends in a waterfall
"In the city's swankiest shopping district" -- Condé Nast Traveller
Map & Directions
Rooms & Rates
Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall is a canalside property, just around the corner from the City Hall in Hamburg’s historic heart. Once a post-office building, it has been sleekly renovated with monochrome furnishings and plenty of marble.
The hotel’s location is within easy reach of most city-centre sights -- the Deichtorhallen (a modern art and photography gallery) and Kunsthalle (for German Old Masters) are within a 20-minute walk. The brand-new HafenCity development is 30 minutes’ walk away, past the restored port buildings in the Warehouse District. A pleasant 20-minute walk north of the hotel is the picturesque Lake Alster. Transport connections around the hotel are also excellent -- it is five minutes’ walk from Rathaus underground station and Jungfernstieg station.
The hotel’s restaurant, Ticino, serves a respected fine-dining menu, and there’s a bistro for informal weekday lunches. Guests can grab breakfast here, or opt for the full buffet spread in the main restaurant -- and don’t forget the bar, with its canal views. The spa houses a sauna, hammam and treatment rooms (charges apply) but the heated pool is the real highlight -- it takes the form of a glittering river that meanders along the room and ends in a waterfall.
Rooms are calm cocoons, decorated in pale shades and charcoal grey. All have Bose Wave radios and Lanvin toiletries -- Luxury Rooms have Nespresso machines and bathrooms with both a shower and a bath. The best rooms overlook the canal. Wi-Fi is free in all rooms.
- “A designer hotel with in-house spa in the city’s swankiest shopping district” -- Condé Nast Traveller
- “It is a good choice for supreme comfort” -- Frommer’s
- Newspaper / magazines
- Indoor pool
- Pool bar
- Sauna / Steam Room
- 100% smoke-free
- 24-hour front desk
- 24-hour room service
- Baby-sitting service on request
- Concierge service
- Express check-in / checkout
- Laundry / dry cleaning
- Safe in reception (fees apply)
- Business center
- Mini bar
- Flatscreen TV
- iPod/iPhone docking station
- Complimentary Wi-Fi in guest rooms
- Complimentary Wi-Fi in public areas
- Separate shower
- Luxury toiletries
- Parking (fees apply)
- Valet service (fees apply)
Please note: Some amenities may not be available in all rooms and some amenities or services incur an additional charge and are subject to change. Please check with the hotel directly.
Check-in: Standard Time is 3pm.
Checkout: Standard Time is 12pm.
Pets: Pets allowed
Cancellation: Cancellation policy & booking conditions vary by 'rate plan'. These will be displayed on the payment page after you have searched for your dates and selected a rate.
Pets allowed Check-in time starts at 3pm Check-out time is 12pm National Rating Know Before You Go
Hotelstars Union assigns an official star rating for properties in Germany. This property is rated 5 star.
Know Before You Go
The following fees and deposits are charged by the property at time of service, check-in, or check-out.
- Fee for buffet breakfast: EUR 32 per person (approximately)
- Fee for in-room wired Internet: EUR 6 per day (rates may vary)
- Self parking fee: EUR 26 per day
- Valet parking fee: EUR 26 per day
- Pet fee: EUR 25 per pet, per night
The above list may not be comprehensive. Fees and deposits may not include tax and are subject to change.
Mandatory Fees and Taxes
- A city tax is imposed by the city of Hamburg. Business travelers with proof of business-related travel are exempt from this tax. For more details, please contact the property using the information on the reservation confirmation received after booking.
We have included all charges provided to us by the property. However, charges can vary, for example, based on length of stay or the room you book.
Have a Question? Contact Travelzoo.
Rates may vary by date, are subject to availability and are not guaranteed until your purchase is complete.
The room rates listed are for double occupancy per room unless otherwise stated and exclude tax recovery charges and service fees.
It is the responsibility of the hotel chain and/or the individual property to ensure the accuracy of the photos displayed. Travelzoo is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the photos.
*Unless otherwise stated, Travelzoo-exclusive extras are valid once per stay (based on two adults sharing). Value is an estimate based on double occupancy. Extras are only included with Member Rates and may not be available on all dates. Extras are non-transferable and have no cash value. Total value may vary depending on time of booking and availability. When included, breakfast may be limited to 2 guests per stay subject to hotel’s discretion. Other restrictions may apply; see our T&Cs for details.