$104 – County Durham: 14th-century castle stay, 54% off
About the Hotel
Why We Love This Deal
Step back in time with a stay at the 600-year-old Lumley Castle -- a "picture-book castle" with "fairy-tale looks and baronial rooms" (The Daily Telegraph). Overnight stays are now $104, saving up to 54% on the usual price.
- Overnight accommodation in a Courtyard Classic or Castle Classic room (subject to availability on booking), with full English breakfast, for two
- Late checkout until 12pm (worth $33)
- It's $104 to stay Sunday-Thursday, $130 to stay Friday-Saturday in January and February, and $143 to stay Friday-Saturday in March
- Two-night stays are an extra $92 Sunday-Thursday and $118 Friday-Saturday
- Stay in a Superior Courtyard or Superior Castle room for an extra $26 per stay
- Travelzoo members get 15% off dinner when booked in advance, and 20% off direct bookings for the onsite escape room
Why We Love This Hotel
- It's a 14th-century castle set in nine acres of parkland
- The Grade I-listed property has flagstone corridors lined with busts, and a bar with gilt paintings and floor-to-ceiling bookcases
- The cities of Durham, Newcastle and Sunderland are all within 25 minutes' drive
Lumley Castle sits on a hilltop above a wooded valley in County Durham. Now a 4-star hotel, the 600-year-old fortress retains "a real sense of theatre", says The AA -- "you are left in no doubt that you are in a genuine castle".
Chester-le-Street town centre is less than 10 minutes' drive or a 30-minute walk away. It's home to the Riverside Ground cricket venue and an 11th-century church, as well as shops and restaurants.
Beamish, The Living Museum of the North, is around 15 minutes' drive away, as is the Penshaw Monument -- a 70-foot-high replica of the Temple of Hephaestus in Athens -- which has panoramic views and features on Sunderland Football Club's emblem. Newcastle and Sunderland are both around 25 minutes' drive from the hotel.
Durham Castle and Cathedral -- a UNESCO World Heritage Site -- and the 13th-century estate of Crook Hall and Gardens, are less than 20 minutes' drive away. The North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty is 30 minutes' drive away.
Dining options at the hotel include the Library Bar, the Knight's Restaurant (for à la carte lunches and dinners) and The Barons Hall, which hosts Elizabethan-style banquets followed by a disco in the castle dungeons.
Courtyard Doubles are in a converted stable block adjacent to the Castle. Castle Double rooms are in the Castle building and are accessed via a stone spiral staircase. All rooms are individually designed and have décor in keeping with the property's medieval feel. Wi-Fi is free.
- Newspaper / magazines
- No pets allowed
- 24-hour front desk
- Currency exchange / ATM
- Laundry / dry cleaning
- Room service (limited hours)
- Business center
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea-making facilities
- Iron and ironing board
- Flatscreen TV
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the hotel
- Luxury toiletries
- Complimentary parking
Standard Time is 3pm.
Minimum age required to check in: 18.
Checkout: Standard Time is 11am.
Children and additional guests:
Extra beds are not available.
Crib/Pack 'n Play not available.
Pets: No pets allowed.
Cancellation: Cancellation policy & booking conditions vary by 'rate plan'. These will be displayed on the payment page after you have searched for your dates and selected a rate.
up to 54% off
$104 / night
About the Hotel
Have a Question? Contact Travelzoo.
Rates may vary by date, are subject to availability and are not guaranteed until your purchase is complete.
The room rates listed are for double occupancy per room unless otherwise stated and exclude tax recovery charges and service fees.
It is the responsibility of the hotel chain and/or the individual property to ensure the accuracy of the photos displayed. Travelzoo is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the photos.
*Unless otherwise stated, Travelzoo-exclusive extras are valid once per stay (based on two adults sharing). Value is an estimate based on double occupancy. Extras are only included with Member Rates and may not be available on all dates. Extras are non-transferable and have no cash value. Total value may vary depending on time of booking and availability. When included, breakfast may be limited to 2 guests per stay subject to hotel’s discretion. Other restrictions may apply; see our T&Cs for details.
Please note: Some amenities and services may not be available in all rooms or may incur an additional charge. All prices stated have been verified at the time of publication and may vary at the discretion of the hotel.
(19 Member Ratings)