Palmer House a Hilton Hotel
Why We Love It
- One of the most famous and historic hotels in Chicago, one block from Millennium Park
- AAA 4 Diamond hotel with stunning Gilded Age lobby featuring a beautiful ceiling-wide mosaic
- A $215 million renovation in 2014 brought the hotel into the modern age
- Famous past guests include Mark Twain and Charles Dickens
"The epitome of a grande dame" -- Fodor's
Map & Directions
Rooms & Rates
If you want historic grandeur, you want the Palmer House Hilton on Chicago's storied State Street. This AAA 4 Diamond recipient is one of the longest continuously operating hotels in North America, the original Palmer House dates to before the Chicago Fire. While the hotel has been rebuilt multiple times, a recent $215 million renovation in 2014 brought the hotel into the modern age.
As the property is older than most, many of the hotel's 1600+ rooms tend to be on the small side, but are appointed with Hilton Serenity Dreams mattresses and flat-panel TVs. Suites are available for more space, and executive-level rooms include a complimentary breakfast, hors d'oeuvres in the afternoon and a private bar.
The Lockwood restaurant offers breakfast, lunch, dinner and an afternoon tea, while Potter's Bar features a happy hour menu with beer, wine and cocktails. Even if you don't have much of a sweet tooth, you should probably order the brownie -- the Palmer House was where it was invented.
There's an indoor pool, a three-level fitness center and Balance Spa providing massage, facial and nail treatments. Double down on your historical Chicago trip with a shopping day at the Marshall Field's building (it's actually a Macy's now, but we don't talk about that part much) or see a show at the famous Chicago Theater. The Art Institute, Grant and Millennium Parks and the Mag Mile are all also within walking distance as well.
- "Comfortable and elegant ... service is top-notch" -- Zagat
- "The lobby still has an 'Oh my God' opulence that makes a look-see imperative" -- LonelyPlanet
- Newspaper / magazines
- Hot Tub / Jacuzzi
- Indoor pool
- Sauna / Steam Room
- 24-hour front desk
- Airport transfer (fees apply)
- Concierge service
- Currency exchange / ATM
- Express check-in / checkout
- Hair salon (fees apply)
- Laundry / dry cleaning
- Room service (limited hours)
- Safe in reception (fees apply)
- Business center
- Iron and ironing board
- Pay-per-view / movies on demand
- Video games on request
- Wi-Fi in guest rooms (fees apply)
- Wi-Fi in public areas (fees apply)
- Parking (fees apply)
- Valet service (fees apply)
Please note: Some amenities may not be available in all rooms and some amenities or services incur an additional charge and are subject to change. Please check with the hotel directly.
Check-in: Standard Time is 3pm.
Checkout: Standard Time is 12pm.
Pets: Pets allowed
Cancellation: Cancellation policy & booking conditions vary by 'rate plan'. These will be displayed on the payment page after you have searched for your dates and selected a rate.
Pets allowed Check-in time starts at 3pm Check-out time is 12pm Know Before You Go
Know Before You Go
The following fees and deposits are charged by the property at time of service, check-in, or check-out.
- Breakfast fee: between USD 7 and USD 11 per person (approximately)
- Fee for in-room wireless Internet: USD 15.00 (rates may vary)
- Fee for wireless Internet in public areas: USD 15.00 per night (rates may vary)
- Self parking fee: USD 47.00 per night
- Valet parking fee: USD 79 per night (in/out privileges)
- Pet fee: USD 50 per accommodation, per stay
- Refrigerator fee: USD 40 per stay
- In-room microwave fee: USD 40 per stay
The above list may not be comprehensive. Fees and deposits may not include tax and are subject to change.
Have a Question? Contact Travelzoo.
Rates may vary by date, are subject to availability and are not guaranteed until your purchase is complete.
The room rates listed are for double occupancy per room unless otherwise stated and exclude tax recovery charges and service fees.
It is the responsibility of the hotel chain and/or the individual property to ensure the accuracy of the photos displayed. Travelzoo is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the photos.
*Unless otherwise stated, Travelzoo-exclusive extras are valid once per stay (based on two adults sharing). Value is an estimate based on double occupancy. Extras are only included with Member Rates and may not be available on all dates. Extras are non-transferable and have no cash value. Total value may vary depending on time of booking and availability. When included, breakfast may be limited to 2 guests per stay subject to hotel’s discretion. Other restrictions may apply; see our T&Cs for details.
(8 Member Ratings)