Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant
Why We Love It
- This is the highest-ranked Windermere hotel on TripAdvisor
- Dating back to 1854, this country retreat is a 3-Red-Star AA Inspector's Choice Hotel
- Lake Windermere and the town centre are a short stroll away
- The restaurant has an AA Rosette
"Warm and sincere" -- The Good hotel Guide
Rooms & Rates
The Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant, which has a picturesque location near the iconic Lake Windermere, holds three Red Stars -- indicating that the property has Inspector's Choice status and that The AA considers it "one of the best hotels in the British Isles". The hotel is the highest ranked in Windermere on TripAdvisor, while its AA-Rosette-awarded restaurant is described by The Daily Telegraph as having a "classy, contemporary edge".
This is an excellent spot for walking -- Lake Windermere is less than a quarter of a mile away via a nearby bridle path and the town centre is a 15-minute walk. Ambleside is a 10-minute drive in the other direction, and the bus stops right outside the hotel gates. The property also has two electric bikes to rent (£25 for a full day, including maps), plus storage for bikes if you are bringing your own.
This 1850s stone manor has 10 good-size rooms, named after the hills and lakes that are visible from their large windows, including Coniston, Windermere and Langdale. The décor is pretty, with furniture made by local craftspeople, and you can expect fresh milk in the fridge for tea and coffee.
In the mornings, a cooked breakfast is whipped up by owner Jonathan to order. The restaurant serves modern British fare and "seasonality leads the kitchen, which turns out modern country-house dishes", according to The AA. It is also open to non-residents so pre-booking is recommended, and (unusually for a small hotel) room service is available. The bar is a pleasant spot for an afternoon or pre-dinner drink and has a good selection of local ales, whisky and gin. Wi-Fi is free throughout.
- "If you want a small, personally run, country house-style hotel with five-star levels of service and comforts, and a classy, contemporary edge, Cedar Manor is an excellent option" -- The Daily Telegraph
- "This lovely old house enjoys a peaceful location, tucked away within easy walking distance of the town centre" -- The AA Hotel Guide 2018
- "From the excellent service, decor and food, to the exceptional attention to detail, they've certainly got it right" -- The Good Hotel Guide 2018
- "Peaceful small hotel with impressive seasonal cooking" -- The AA Restaurant Guide 2018
- Newspaper / magazines
- No pets allowed
- 100% smoke-free
- No elevator / lift
- Concierge service
- Express check-in / checkout
- Room service (limited hours)
- Safe in reception
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea-making facilities
- Iron and ironing board
- Jacuzzi in some rooms
- Flatscreen TV
- iPod/iPhone docking station
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the hotel
- Luxury toiletries
- Bathtub or shower
- Complimentary parking
Standard Time is 3pm. Minimum age required to check in: 18.
Minimum age required to check in: 18.
Checkout: Standard Time is 11am.
Children and additional guests:
There is no extra bed available.
No pets allowed.
Cancellation: Cancellation policy & booking conditions vary by 'rate plan'. These will be displayed on the payment page after you have searched for your dates and selected a rate.
Please make sure you pre-book your dinner reservation with the hotel directly to avoid disappointment as it is very busy.
Hotel is closed from mid December to the end of January.
Have a Question? Contact Travelzoo.
Rates may vary by date, are subject to availability and are not guaranteed until your purchase is complete.
The room rates listed are for double occupancy per room unless otherwise stated and exclude tax recovery charges and service fees.
It is the responsibility of the hotel chain and/or the individual property to ensure the accuracy of the photos displayed. Travelzoo is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the photos.
*Unless otherwise stated, Travelzoo-exclusive extras are valid once per stay (based on two adults sharing). Value is an estimate based on double occupancy. Extras are only included with Member Rates and may not be available on all dates. Extras are non-transferable and have no cash value. Total value may vary depending on time of booking and availability. When included, breakfast may be limited to 2 guests per stay subject to hotel’s discretion. Other restrictions may apply; see our T&Cs for details.
Please note: Some amenities and services may not be available in all rooms or may incur an additional charge. All prices stated have been verified at the time of publication and may vary at the discretion of the hotel.
(6 Member Ratings)