> The Deal Experts Travel Tips Blog > Croatia Going up, VAT Going Down

Croatia Going up, VAT Going Down

We were excited when we heard that the Croatian Government has slashed VAT rates on accommodation and food to 10% in a bid to attract more tourists in 2013 -- as if we need any more reasons to visit.

The country is having a record year for tourism, with an impressive 3,418,306 people visiting from January to June this year, a 6% increase when compared to the same time period in 2012.

"We expect the average level of prices to come down next year, we expect more employees and we expect more investment in the [tourism] sector," said Veljko Ostojic, Croatia’s Minister of Tourism, about the decrease.

Ostojic also plans to add 60,000 hotel beds by 2020 to make sure new demand is catered for. At present, hotels account for only 14% of accommodation in the country, the remaining 86% is private accommodation. Ostojic wants this figure to reach 20% by 2020.

"One of our main advantages is our coastline is almost 6,000 kilometres long and we have only four and a half million people, so we have space and space is a luxury," says Ostojic.

Croatia has long been a big favourite with us at Travelzoo, so news of price decreases is music to our ears. Between us, we’ve covered most corners and can’t speak highly enough of its sublime coastlines, charming old cities and other-worldly national parks. If you haven’t already made plans for 2013, then Croatia should definitely be on your list.

Share with friends

  •  Facebook Facebook
  •  Twitter Twitter
  • RSS Feeds RSS Feeds »
Tips by

Deal Expert, London
Tuesday, 13 November 2012
See more Tips from
Felicity Pont