By Caroline Patience
Get a taste for scuba diving with a two-day certification course off the Sonoma Coast for 50% off the regular price.
Why we love it
- Learn to scuba dive and get certified while saving $100 on the regular price
- Flexible dates: Pick the weekends you want to dive into August
- Great for first-time divers
Jan. 11 - Aug. 16, 2014
Sonoma Coast Divers
5702 Commerce Blvd.
Rohnert Park, CA 94928
- $99 (reg. $199.50) for a two-day SSI Scuba Diver certification course (students provide their own gear)
In this course, learn to dive up to 40 ft. with a dive master -- the two-day course takes place on weekends into August and kicks off with a pool session day, in which students learn scuba techniques from an instructor
The following day, students dive off the Sonoma Coast or Monterey
- Make the class all-inclusive for $239 (reg. $478.95); this package includes the class, an SSI student kit, scuba and snorkel gear rental, as well as transportation for your gear to and from the dive site, and cleaning (so students don't have to haul the equipment and wash it themselves)
Or, for $115 (reg. $212.95), take a one-day class on diving for abalone
The class starts with a beachside lecture before diving to depths of 12-15 ft. of water
Note: For the $99 scuba course, SSI student training materials (required), scuba/snorkel equipment rental (required) and transportation/cleaning are available for additional fees paid directly to merchant. For the abalone course, students are required to bring a valid California fishing license, abalone report card and abalone iron & gauge (available at most sporting goods/fishing stores).
The fine print
Scuba diving course: Valid Jan. 11 - Aug. 16, 2014. Class dates: Jan. 11-12, February 8-9, March 8-9, April 5-6, May 24-25, June 21-22, July 19-20 and Aug. 16-17. Reservation are required; subject to availability. Saturday pool sessions meet at 8 a.m.; Sunday ocean sessions take place on the North Coast or Monterey at 9 a.m. Call ahead to confirm class locations. Students are required to pick up student kits and required gear before course; allow around one hour for this orientation. Bookwork must be completed before class. Must be in good health and moderate shape to participate. Limit one purchase per person; may buy additional as gifts. If limit is exceeded, voucher subject to forfeiture.
See all terms
Abalone dive: Valid April 26 - July 12, 2014 . Dives are held on April 26, May 17, June 14 and July 12. Reservations required; subject to availability. Dive sites vary depending on weather conditions. Limit one purchase per person; may buy additional as gifts. If limit is exceeded, voucher subject to forfeiture.