By Travelzoo Staff
"If you do nothing else on the Big Island, do the volcano," advises Fodor's. Since its eruption began in 1983, Kilauea Volcano has steadily been "oozing new layers of lava onto its flanks," creating a show of "fire, earth, and water." With this deal for $35 per person (reg. $74), see the volcano and Big Island's other top sights on a full-day guided tour that includes Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Thurston Lava Tube and the "magical" Rainbow Falls.
Why we love it
- Visit Big Island's top sights including Kilauea Volcano on this $35 full-day guided tour (reg. $74)
- Tours depart daily from Hilo and include hotel/airport pickup
- Explore Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and see 2 of the world's most active volcanoes
- Stops also include Rainbow Falls, Thruston Lava Tube and Banyan Drive
March 19, 2013 - Sept. 21, 2013
Polynesian Adventure Tours
2880 Kilihau St.
Honolulu, HI 96819
- The volcano adventure tour includes transportation from every major Hilo hotel or the Hilo airport and is a convenient and informative way to make the most of your trip to the Big Island. You'll visit the following:
- Banyan Drive: the trees along this road were planted by religious leaders, political leaders, famous authors, movie stars, world adventurers and local Hawaiians dating back to 1933
- Rainbow Falls: see "magical rainbows in the mist" (Fodor's) at this 80-foot-tall, nearly 100-foot-wide waterfall in Wailuku River State Park that flows over a natural lava cave into a large freshwater pool surrounded by dense tropical fauna
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (includes admission): UNESCO World Heritage Site containing two of the most active volcanoes in the world, Mauna Loa and Kilauea
- Jagger Museum: learn about the history of the volcano park
- Thurston Lava Tube: a river of hot lava used to rush through this tube discovered in 1913 by Lorrin Thurston
- Kilauea Iki Crater: steam still escapes from this pit crater next to Kilauea's main summit caldera
- Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory or Big Island Candies (depends on season)
- Orchid and anthurium nursery
- Read more about this experience here. The bus departs Hilo daily at 8-8:30 a.m. and returns at 4:30-5 p.m.
The fine print
Vouchers can be redeemed starting Thursday, March 21, through Sept. 21, 2013. Reservations are required. Tour is subject to availability and weather. Tour runs daily, departing 8-8:30 a.m. with return at 4:30-5 p.m. Children 2 and under are always free. A 24-hour cancellation policy applies; voucher subject to forfeiture. Must sign a waiver. Cannot pick up in residential areas, the National Park or at B&B's. Lava viewing features can change hourly. Sighting of lava flows not guaranteed. See below for full terms and conditions.
See all terms