By Caroline Patience
Horseback ride along the Mendocino coast, a slice of Northern California praised for its "profound natural beauty and fierce independence" (New York Times).
Why we love it
- The ride takes you through picturesque MacKerricher State Park right onto the beach
- The park's dramatic headlands and arresting vistas; look for harbor seals just off shore
- 95% of past Travelzoo purchasers loved their experience with Ricochet Ridge
- Calling it "fun and relaxing" and praising the "friendly and very accommodating" guides
- Receives 4.5 stars from TripAdvisor users and has a 2013 Certificate of Excellence
Nov. 1, 2013 - May 22, 2014
Ricochet Ridge Ranch
24201 North Highway One
Fort Bragg, CA 95437
- For $35 (reg. $50), horseback ride through MacKerricher State Park and along Ten Mile Beach; rides typically last 75-90 minutes
Riders are greeted by staff, who evaluate comfort and experience levels before pairing riders with their horses
You'll also watch an instructional safety video before mounting your horse
Guided rides take you through a forest, over seaside bluffs and then right onto the beach, where you may stroll in the surf
Pick between English- and Western-style riding; all levels of experience are welcome
Note: Trips leave from Ricochet Ridge Ranch across from MacKerricher State Park, two miles north of downtown Fort Bragg.
Plan a Mendocino escape with this oceanfront getaway
for two at The Beachcomber Motel, in Fort Bragg, that saves more than 55% on a two-night stay.
The fine print
Reservations are required; subject to availability. Not valid from Nov. 27-Dec. 1, 2013, and April 13-27, 2014. Not valid on holidays and holiday weekends. Rides are daily at 10 a.m., 12 p.m., 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. Please arrive 15 minutes prior to the departure time. A 24-hour cancellation policy applies. You'll be asked to provide information regarding age, weight and experience level when making a reservation. All riders are encouraged to wear protective riding helmets. Briefing and riding times are approximate and subject to change. Children must be 6 years old to participate.
See all terms