By Travelzoo Staff
Established in 1894, Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff is one of the country's oldest observatories and the site where Pluto was discovered in 1930. For $25, regularly $60, Travelzoo subscribers can sign up for an annual basic family membership. A family of four can visit all year long for less than the cost of a single visit.
Why we love it
- Lowell is one of the country's oldest observatories, established in 1894
- For $25, regularly $60, get an annual family pass for 2 adults and their children
- A family of 4 can stargaze all year long for less than the cost of a single visit
- Membership also includes extras like guest passes and discounts on special events
- Get 2 single-day tickets for $12, or 4 tickets for $22
- Frommer's praises the "numerous fun and educational exhibits"
May 31, 2013 - Dec. 31, 2013
1400 West Mars Hill Rd.
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
- Or for $12, get two single-day admission tickets, regularly $24. A group of four can visit on for $22, regularly $48.
- The membership includes:
Yearlong admission for two adults and their children
Two guest passes for the year
10% discount on gift shop purchases, special events and programs
Quarterly newsletter subscription and monthly online video documentary subscription
Free admission to more than 300 other science centers and museums worldwide through the ASTC Passport Program
- Frommer's notes the "main attraction is the chance to observe the stars and planets through the observatory's 24-inch telescope." Visitors can take one of several guided tours daily, or catch solar viewings at 12:15 p.m. and stargazing in the evening (weather permitting). Lowell recently completed a $53-million, 10-year project to build the fifth largest telescope in the continental U.S.
The fine print
Vouchers can be redeemed to activate the annual membership starting Friday, May 31. Vouchers for the admission tickets can be redeemed starting Friday, May 31, through Dec. 31, 2013. Vouchers must be redeemed to activate the annual membership no later than Dec. 31, 2013. Membership valid for 1 full year from date of activation. The $12 and $22 admission ticket deals can be used at the same time or over separate visits. Tickets may be used for any age; children 5 and under are admitted free. See below for full terms and conditions.
See all terms