By Travelzoo Staff
Explore St. Joseph Plantation
, a working sugar-cane plantation on Great River Road, an area lined with massive, historic households.
Why we love it
- "Closely tied to New Orleans culture and society" (Fodor's)
- Get a glimpse into plantation life during the early 1800s
- TripAdvisor users give St. Joseph 4.5 stars
- Users praise the "authentic" tour and informative guides
Aug. 1, 2013 - Sept. 30, 2013; Closed Wednesdays
St. Joseph Plantation
3535 Highway 18
Vacherie, LA 70090
- For $15, reg. $30, two can take in the 1,000-acre grounds while learning about the storied history of the sugar cane industry
Tours are led by family members who are brimming with historical knowledge about St. Joseph and the surrounding area
Guests will see the original slave cabins, blacksmith shop, carpenter quarters and other on-site structures.
- Tour with a group and save more -- four can explore the grounds for $29 (regularly $60), and a family pass for two adults and two children is $19 (regularly $44).
The fine print
Tours are held daily on the hour from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.; the plantation is closed on Wednesdays. Reservations are not required. Not valid on major holidays. Family passes are valid for children 6-18 years old only. Children under 6 are admitted for free.
See all terms