By Travelzoo Staff
Every winter, pods of gray whales make the journey south from the Arctic to the warm waters along SoCal's coastline. Catch the majestic mammals in their peak migratory season (now through May) with this excursion that leaves from Newport Beach and travels 15 miles into the Pacific.
Why we love it
- This 2.5-hour trip is $15 per person, or $28 for 2 people
- The trip departs from Newport Beach and cruises 15 miles off the coast into the Pacific
- Spot gray whales in their peak migratory season (now through May)
- Boats leave 3-4 times daily; check the schedule for departure times
- Sea lions, birds and bottlenose dolphins also make frequent appearances
March 4, 2013 - July 17, 2013
Ocean Explorer Cruises/Newport Landing
400 Main St.
Newport Beach, CA 92661
- For $15 per person (reg. $32), spot whales and other marine life on a 2.5-hour narrated cruise. Two people can purchase tickets for $28 (reg. $64). Thanks to 15 miles of protected coastline surrounding Newport, the waters are rich with marine life. Gray whales can be up to 45 feet long and their distinctive V-shaped spout make them especially easy to spot from the boat. Ships hold more than 100 people and are fully equipped with indoor and outdoor seating, bathrooms and concession areas. Departure times change depending on the season; be sure to check the schedule before booking.
The fine print
Vouchers can be for the next available cruise date through July 17, 2013. Reservations are required. To make a reservation, call Ocean Explorer Cruises and reference voucher or book online. Please arrive 30 minutes before the boat departs. A fuel surcharge of $1-$4 may apply. Not valid on major holidays. Valid for adult or child admission; ages 2 and under need only pay a fuel fee of $3. See below for full terms and conditions.
See all terms