By Travelzoo Staff
The Denver Post says "it really doesn't get any better than a quick trip on one of the state's scenic railroads" which it lists among the more popular attractions in Colorado. With this deal for $25, regularly $49, Travelzoo subscribers can ride the Rio Grande Scenic Railroad's San Luis Valley winter excursion, which earns 4.5 stars from TripAdvisor users. Two can ride the rails for $45 and save even more off the normal $98 price.
Why we love it
- Take a ride on the historic Rio Grande Scenic Railroad in Alamosa
- One can ride for $25, or book a ride for 2 for $45 and save even more
- The Rio Grande earns 4.5 stars from TripAdvisor users
- This experience includes hot chocolate and a cookie to enjoy during the ride
Dec. 6, 2012 - March 24, 2013
Rio Grande Scenic Railroad
610 State Ave.
Alamosa, CO 81101
- Trains, pulled by a historic midcentury diesel engine, depart from downtown Alamosa and pass through the San Luis Valley with views of the snowcapped Spanish Peaks and mountains. Wildlife like bears and elk have been seen during these trips, which wind through the mountains at up to 9,400 feet of elevation. Riders receive a cup of hot chocolate and cookie during the ride.
The Rio Grande often schedules special events like beer or wine tasting rides; subscribers can reserve access to these for an additional fee.
The fine print
Vouchers can be redeemed starting Saturday, Dec. 15, through March 23, 2013. Trips take place on Saturdays only. Trips depart at 10:00 a.m. and return at 5:30 p.m. Excludes Romance on the Rails (Feb. 16) and T-Rex Express rides (March 3). Reservations are required. See below for full terms and conditions.
See all terms