Travelzoo Experience: Bermuda Beach Vacation
One of the most coveted perks at Travelzoo is the Travelzoo Experience, in which Deal Experts and other employees take advantage of the same travel, entertainment and local deals we publish to our subscribers and report back on their experience.
I've learned you can fly to paradise in less than two hours from New York. Fares to Bermuda range from $350-$500 roundtrip from the East Coast, making it an affordable beach getaways for New Yorkers like me. The island also plays host to many famous Americans: Many celebrities like Kenny Chesney, Michael Douglas, and Michael Bloomberg have homes in Bermuda.
Travelzoo Tip: For $199 per night, choose between the two Fairmonts on the island and score a free continental breakfast for two for stays Aug. 19 - Sept. 30. Travel May 8 - Aug. 18 also on sale. Find flights to Bermuda on Fly.com.
Things to Know
- Some of the best times to go is early fall when there is little to no humidity, and the weather is around 75-80 F degrees.
- To get to the Fairmont Southampton, the cab ride is $35 and is about a 30-minute ride. The hotel also offers transportation services for $15 per person.
- You can’t rent cars while visiting Bermuda (only residents are allowed to have cars) so I would recommend renting mopeds, which is a great way to see the island from the navy shipyard where all the cruise ships dock all the way to the other end of the island in St. George. You can find your own secluded beach.
- The Southampton has everything that you need so you don’t really need to leave the grounds. They have a private beach, many activities, and many on site restaurants. If you want to get into town, the hotel offers free ferry service from the Fairmont Southampton to the Fairmont Hamilton.
- The hotel has a 18 hole par three championship golf courses for the golf enthusiasts, and they also have the famous Willow Stream Spa. As a tip, if you decide to do a treatment at the spa, go early so you can enjoy the 31,000 square foot space that includes indoor pools, saunas, and the sun deck because it is gorgeous. There are also tennis courts, cricket courts, and you can also get PADI certified.
- This hotel has some really good restaurants on the property. Waterlot Inn is the most famous and reservations need to be made before you get the hotel. This steakhouse is voted in the Top 10 of 127 restaurants in Bermuda on TripAdvisor. When I went for the weekend, I thought I could make reservations upon arrival but they were booked. Luckily I was able to snag a early Sunday reservation. It isn’t cheap though.
- If you are looking for light bites or you are waiting for your reservation at the Waterlot Inn, there is a lounge area right by the dock and there is live music. It is scenic watching the sunset and drinking a glass of wine or like the Bermudians do it, with a dark and stormy, which is ginger beer and rum. It is delicious!
- If you are looking for a place to dine in town, go to Barracuda. This was my favorite meal in Bermuda. It is mainly seafood with Asian influences. All of the food in Bermuda is imported so be prepared to pay a hefty cost for food in Bermuda. Barracuda is in the Top 5 of 127 restaurants in Bermuda on TripAdvisor. If you are looking for a more casual atmosphere, try their sister restaurant, Pickled Onion, which is right around the corner.
I can’t wait to go back to Bermuda. You’ll know what I’m talking about once you go.