Take a Tax-Refund Vacation: Our Picks
Last year the average federal tax refund was $2,700, according to Forbes. For those lucky enough to come into a check, that dollar amount is a good nest egg for either a last-minute trip or an unplanned summer vacation.
Here are six picks from our Deal Experts on ways to spend your refund on travel:
$250 and less:
- The always-affordable Myrtle Beach offers family-friendly fun at a discount year round. For $45 per night, an oceanfront resort is taking 40% off its spring rates. Captain's Quarters Resort features indoor pools, lazy rivers, bowling lanes and an arcade plus rooms have free Wi-Fi and balconies with ocean views. Bringing the whole family? Two-bedroom condos, which sleep up to eight travelers, start at $79 per night for travel into May at Horizon at the 77th. Stays into June start at $104. Travelzoo Tip: Visit our Myrtle Beach Featured Destination page for additional deals, tips, highlights and itinerary suggestions.
- Live the glamorous life for less at the Inn of Chicago Magnificent Mile. Get swept up in Windy City excitement this summer, where stays select days June-September are now $79 per night, which is half the cost of nearby properties. Discounted dates include stays on Memorial Day, the Fourth of July and Labor Day. For those who can’t wait that long, some April dates are as low as $69 per night, others $89.
- No need for a passport for a visit to sunny San Juan. A 4-star vacation -- including three nights at an oceanfront resort in Puerto Rico and airfare from Fort Lauderdale -- has been discounted to $369 per person, including taxes (based on double occupancy). Flights from cities nationwide can be added to this discounted package, and additional nights can be purchased at discounted rates in this sale ending Friday. This deal is good for select departures April-August.
- Or, go north: our Canadian deal experts have found significant savings for flights and resort stays through the end of the year. Flights to Toronto start at $198 roundtrip in May, and airlines nationwide fly to Canada’s cosmopolitan melting pot. Through the end of the year, Air Canada has discounted fares to Montreal, Vancouver, Victoria, Halifax and more cities, with fares starting at $118 each way. Travelzoo’s Canada Hotel Deals page features a serene Vancouver Island retreat for $89 per night as well as several 4-star stays at Niagara Falls, named one of our Wow Deal Destinations for 2013.
- This fall, pack your camera and coziest sweaters and set off for a four-city tour of Irish castles at $400 off do-it-yourself pricing with this vacation package. For $1199 per person including taxes, or $2398 per couple, travelers will experience a week at 4- and 5-star castles across the country, nonstop airfare from New York and a rental car with unlimited mileage.
- See China by land, air and sea with this 14-night vacation in November. At $1200 off similar offers, this escorted tour includes roundtrip airfare from LA plus intra-China flights; stops in Beijing, Xi’an and Shanghai; three nights on the Yangtze River aboard the MV President Prime; and several meals. For $2299 per person including taxes, depart May 15 or Nov. 6. Air from New York City is also available for an additional charge.