While some might consider it primarily for time wasting and navel-gazing, but Twitter can be useful for at least one thing: finding great travel deals. Major airlines, mom-and-pop motels and everyone in between is tweeting now. Follow the right ones and you'll find private sales and outstanding discounts on last-minute getaways. Here are a few accounts worth following:
- @JetBlueCheeps JetBlue’s legendary "cheeps" are the gold standard for Twitter deals: exclusive, frequently posted and dirt cheap. Fares can dip as low as $19 each way, but blink and the deals are sold out.
- @SouthwestAir keeps its million-plus followers happy by tweeting sales the moment they launch, offering double credits and some interesting promotions -- such as free pedicab rides a few weeks ago in Denver.
- @VirginAmerica The frequency with which Virgin America offers freebies is almost mind-boggling -- a new contest or trivia question is posted every few hours, and the prize is often a free flight.
- @JDVhotels This chic California-based hotel chain tweets deals every Tuesday. (Travel Tuesday has been adopted as the day to broadcast deals; do a search for #traveltuesday on Twitter.) This week, the oceanfront Pacific Edge Hotel in Laguna Beach was $100 per night, but these specials are only live for a few hours.
- @FairmontHotels celebrates Twitter milestones -- such as reaching 6,000 followers -- by launching flash sales and contests. Fairmont Hotels in Banff and Victoria were recently discounted by 40%, while a few lucky followers scored free stays.
- @MorgansHotels Free concerts, party invites and exclusive discounts (for oil spill volunteers, recently) are some of the perks of following this posh brand.- @Kimpton This quirky boutique hotel chain posts passwords for “delightful surprises” (often free cocktails or an upgrade) granted at check-in. The code for the last few days of July is “fireworks,” while an August password is coming soon.
- @Fly_com The folks at Fly.com send out alerts when they find really hot fares. With more than 30 local feeds like NYCFares, they make sure you don't miss a reason to get out of town.
- @Travelzoo Last but not least, our own Twitter account features staffers’ top deal picks, live chats with senior editors and localized content from our offices around the globe.
Please go to your email and confirm your subscription.